What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Sleepy Hollow -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Tim Burton's almost quarter-century old Sleepy Hollow is a visual treat courtesy of Paramount. Shot on what's called fillum by Emmanuel Lubezki, who was nominated by the Academy for Best Cinematography, it makes its way to 4k, looking like fillum.

And that's great!

There's a lot of night here, and the darkness, along with requisite shadow detail is beautifully handled in Dolby Vision.

I'd call this one reference quality. And a terrifically fun film to boot.

For the important part, the slipcover is nicely designed, and unusual in that the 4k strip that runs along the top is black and silver, but set against a beautiful copper background. Not certain if there's a relevance for the color to the film, but it's attractive nonetheless, and a reason not to toss the slip.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 3

Highly Recommended

RAH

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I watched this 4K for the Halloween challenge and while the film looked good, I was underwhelmed by the sound mix.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My favorite Tim Burton film. I believe he said at one point his inspiration for this were Hammer horror films, which I also love. Makes sense to me and I love his approach to this material. I think it is the best Sleepy Hollow picture, though I can't recall others at the moment outside of animated attempts.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My favorite Tim Burton film. I believe he said at one point his inspiration for this were Hammer horror films, which I also love. Makes sense to me and I love his approach to this material. I think it is the best Sleepy Hollow picture, though I can't recall others at the moment outside of animated attempts.
Other than an early silent version, I think Burton's is the only live action film version.

There was also the TV series that ran for four seasons from 2013-17. Tom Mison played Ichabod Crane. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but don't think I watched the last two as the network started switching timeslots. It was played as a sort of variation on X-Files/Supernatural with Mison's resurrected Crane as Mulder and Nicole Beharie's present day police officer as Scully, investigating supernatural occurrences around Sleepy Hollow centered around the headless horseman.

1699547778032.png

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this the week it came out. I was very impressed with the disc and it's a big improvement from the old BD. I was actually impressed with the audio as I felt it was a pretty engaging, strong mix. The horse galloping sounded very powerful as did the 'slicing' highs of the sword decapitations. Not a lot of surround activity, but that's fine for me. It's nice to have it in lossless audio at last.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not if you never watch the Blu-ray again which I won’t except for any bonus content.

I generally agree... except it would be nice to have a good BD for backup, particularly since (I suspect) 4K discs probably aren't as durable (and may not be as easily replaceable given how the market continues to dwindle)... Of course, there's at least also the included 4K digital that could sorta serve as backup too...

_Man_

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought I was going to be out of luck getting the steel book as I didn’t place an order for it right away, but searching around on google earlier today I found FYE is claiming to still having it available on their website and for only $22.49. I’ve placed my order! I see from the YouTube un-boxing videos that’s it not-quite an actual steel book, but kind of a steel book/digi-pack hybrid thingy, but it looks cool regardless.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
The overall quality is nice, but they, once again, have changed the color timing. The signature cool look of the film has been altered to be warmer now. I really wish they would quit messing with the color timing in newer Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray releases of so many movies and just leave them as they are and focus on the improved clarity from the higher resolution, shadow detail, etc.... At least they didn't make it look teal...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks