What's new

Sleepy Hollow on 4K/UHD. See Post #6! (2 Viewers)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if there will be a U.S. 4K UHD Blu-ray set release similar to this new 4K Blu-ray being released in France later this year (link below)? Thanks for any info. =)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It hasn't been announced yet. However, the iTunes HD Digital upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision in February. I'm guessing they're waiting to release the 4K/UHD this Fall around Halloween.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
That would be the perfect time to release it, and I agree that's when they will do it if it's released this year, which seems likely. I certainly hope they will preserve the original theatrical color timing with it's distinctive look, and go easy on any DNR and the HDR to keep the film's accurate natural appearance, and with a high bit-rate (hopefully from a great 4K scan source) that gives superb image quality and detail. And yes, it's overdue for sure. =)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the 4K/Dolby Vision digital looked similar to what I remember the movie looking like when I watched it in a movie theater.

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
A weird little film that nevertheless gets shown every October in my house, because it is about the only movie I can think of that really scratches my early America supernatural horror itch. My wife and I really enjoy it. Besides The Witch are there any others in this vein that are recommended?

Will definitely pick this one up. I think it was one of the first BDs I ever bought.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Are there any reviews up before the 4K Blu-ray release date so we can have an informed opinion of how it looks?

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
There are several reviews up now for those that want to check them out. Sounds like the level of detail is much better now, and with the natural film grain generally well retained. Color grading is a bit warmer on this release, so not sure why that was done. It seems the film is now at a 1.85 aspect ratio on this disk instead of the 1.78 on the previous Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ratio was the original correct one in theaters?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would think 1.85 is the theatrical ratio. I don't think 1.78 was really a "thing" until 16:9 TV's became the home standard.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Probably, most movies are at 1.85 if they aren't at an even wider theatrical ratio. So that's fine, but I wish they had not messed with the color timing, which has always been quite cool and stylized, and rather just stuck with a more nuanced delivery of the cool tones already present.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It seems the film is now at a 1.85 aspect ratio on this disk instead of the 1.78 on the previous Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ratio was the original correct one in theaters?

1.78:1 is not a theatrical aspect ratio. The theatrical standard is 1.85:1. However, for many years it was Paramount policy to open the mattes on all 1.85:1 movies to full-screen 16:9. (Warner Bros. did the same thing.) The difference is small enough that it doesn't meaningfully affect the compositional intent.

In the meantime, the studio has changed its policy and now typically preserves the theatrical 1.85:1.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Ah, I see. Ok, good to know. And yeah, it has little affect, as it still very nearly fills the tv screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks