What's new

Size does matter: How big is your film library? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Jingles

Agent
Real Name
Alex
How many Blu-rays and DVDs do you own?I would estimate I own about 200 Blu-rays and 500 DVDs.Interested to learn what other members have accomplished with their collection.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure there has to be around 20 plus so million films worldwide since film started (all the international ones) and not even half a million of those I would want.

I have a few thousand or so,

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Size only matters if your first name is Godzilla. :lol:

For me it's quality over quantity these days, i tend to buy more classic cinema than new releases, in the old days i would buy many new releases, i spent a lot of money doing that, i hardly watched films a second time with most of those releases, so when it came to blu ray i decided to only spend on releases i truly wanted to see, there is always rental for things i don't want to own.

So to answer your question, my collection isn't large but does have some great movies on the shelf.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
BluZilla :lol: size does matter.

I prefer older films to most of the new ones myself as well. Still have plenty of Laserdisc titles I like to buy including Godzilla (1998) AC-3 I have the DVD as well which gets once in while playing.

Thousands of films on DVD
I think less than 100 on bluray
Less then 100 on HD-DVD
Over 100 on Laserdisc (almost near to 200).

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
A little over 400 BD's and about 75 DVD's. Would love to have only BD's but doubt that will ever happen. I sell my DVD as soon as the BD is released. Probably 80% are pre-1980 films. I may buy 2 new releases a year as newer films simply don't interest me and I would rarely watch them more than once. Whereas I to watch my catalog films at least once a year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have nearly 3,000 titles.

I am guessing only 500-600 of those are Blu-ray.

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
According to my tracker I have about 930+ films on Blu-ray. Got rid of most all my DVDs awhile ago except some such as concerts, historical docs, TV season series, Wrestling. etc,.

25% of my Blu-ray collection are films from 2000 - Present. 26% from 80-90 films and close to 49% between 1900-1979. So it's pretty evenly spread. I'm buying less current titles and more classic/foreign films as studios release them.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
200 or so Blu-rays, probably about the same in DVD. Anything larger makes me feel like a hoarder, so I try to keep the collection in check.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
DVD Profiler says I have a total of 9522 DVDs in my collection. 1992 of them are BDs while 153 are HD DVDs
This is similar to the numbers I have as far as BD goes, although you top me by thousands in the DVD department. I have been using storage cases to cut down on space issues for about 2/3 of my collection. The rest are still in their original keep cases. I live in a small apartment, but movies are my passion, so allowing them to take up as much space as they do does not bother me. It would be pretty ostentatious, except that I do not share the collection with anyone except family.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I ruthlessly prune my collection and aim to keep it at about 600 (about 250 of which are blu-rays). Anything I know that I won't watch again is recycled. The only disc I have repurchased is The Entertainer (Laurence Olivier). With a bigger collection it gets difficult to decide what to watch and I am no longer interested in collecting for its own sake.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Around 5,000 give or take the last time I actually counted them. Less than 100 of them are blu (as I've said, mostly I'm replacing my non-anamorphic DVDs with blu).

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Let's see:

I had an existing collection of 600+ VHS tapes, but I parted with many of them when I acquired the same movies on DVD or Blu.
I have 36 laserdiscs, almost all of which are Criterions that never came over to DVD.

DVD Profiler tells me I have 3627 discs, inclusive of both DVDs and Blus. But DVD Profiler doesn't actually have profiles for a bunch of the discs that I have, and I can't tell if it's monitoring the number of internal discs in many of these sets. (For example, I have the 4 disc edition of Taylor Hackford's Chuck Berry documentary "Hail Hail Rock n Roll", but I can't tell if DVD Profiler counts that as one or four DVDs. In some places, I have TV season sets where DVD Profiler notes each disc in the set, but in other places, I have TV season sets where DVD Profiler only notes the overall package.

My own Word document keeping track of all the DVDs and everything runs 60 pages.
1 page for the lasers at the end.
28 pages for DVDs
21 pages for Blu-rays
10 pages for Home Theater Forum titles reviewed or submitted

Like Malcolm, my collecting has really slowed down over the last couple of years. Now I tend to just pick up a small number of new releases, along with choice Criterion or Twilight Time offerings.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Kevin EK said:
DVD Profiler doesn't actually have profiles for a bunch of the discs that I have, and I can't tell if it's monitoring the number of internal discs in many of these sets. (For example, I have the 4 disc edition of Taylor Hackford's Chuck Berry documentary "Hail Hail Rock n Roll", but I can't tell if DVD Profiler counts that as one or four DVDs.
By default DVD Profiler should count that as one, but you can control that by adjusting the Count As value on the Personal Information screen if you edit your profile.

---------------

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I only buy movies I know I will re-watch again over the next couple of years or so - as a result, I only own around 225 Blus since jumping into the format in 2006. I more into renting than buying.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Size matters when you're younger. And when you're older you kinda notice that it's doesn't really matter. Talking about movies, of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks