What's new

Size does matter: How big is your film library? (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
About 500 films (around 200 are still on DVD - I sell/give away as soon as I upgrade, which I do as soon as available).

about 85% are pre 2k
Just over 30 TV series (which is about either 130 or 160 seasons - depending on how you count Dark Shadows - by release or by number of years).

I never blind buy, and only buy favorites that I plan to watch and re-watch over and over.

I also have a spreadsheet that I keep track of 'last watched'. When I'm not sure what my mood is, I sort by this and choose something from the bottom of the list. Currently on about a 7-year rotation for the entire collection (obviously, some titles are watched more often).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've owned probably more than a thousand, but keep the library at a manageable 500, and just trade the titles I'm least likely to watch again when it starts to spill over. I'm done collecting. I just buy to watch, then keep what I know I'll re-watch and pass on the rest. I'm halfway between a boomer collector and my son's generation, which doesn't feel the need to possess music or movies, but just stream then when the impulse arises.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I have about eighty DVDs and twenty blu rays. I don't buy a movie regardless of price if I don't think that it will get repeated viewings, and if I have a title that I haven't watched in a really long time I might give it away. Just last weekend a friend of my wife mentioned that she was about to have a garage sale so I gave her a few of my bottom tier movies.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
According to DVDProfiler, I have 1338 titles. 1194 are Blu-rays and 144 DVDs. Seems somewhat excessive to me.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
ahollis said:
I'm embarrassed to give a number but it is several Thousand DVD and Blu-ray titles.

You're amongst diehard film enthusiasts here - no need for embarrassment. I would be embarrassed if I admitted I only had a few dozen titles. I always proudly tell anyone who asks that I have just over 1100 Blu-rays and almost 900 DVDs.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
DVD Profiler says I have a total of 9522 DVDs in my collection. 1992 of them are BDs while 153 are HD DVDs
Well you about a thousand more than I do. Lol.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have all best picture nominees (save a few), over 700 DVDs and over 320 blu rays, as well as over a dozen complete tv series, 12 NHL TEAM sets, and over 2 dozen other various DVDs.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Bluray: about 800
DVD: about 400 (I give away or sell my DVD's when Bluray version comes along)
Digital Computer Hard Drive: Several thousand stored on multiple external hard drives
Home Made from DVR captured shows: several hundred

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Keith Cobby said:
I ruthlessly prune my collection and aim to keep it at about 600 (about 250 of which are blu-rays). Anything I know that I won't watch again is recycled.
This is my situation too. In fact, I just sold off 80 DVDs & Blus on eBay. It felt great. I love a tight, quality collection. Size doesn't matter at all... the only reason I have to own a movie is if I know I'm going to watch it again. Massive collections don't impress me.

I've got about 350, roughly a third of which are Blu-Ray. Some are box sets. It's in the neighborhood of 500 movies.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have about 34 Blu-rays, about a third of them being Japanese pop music concerts. I tend to limit my Blu-ray purchases to things I really, really want to see in the best possible format (e.g. IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, THE WILD BUNCH, etc.) at prices that I can't resist.

I have thousands of DVDs, don't know the exact number. And thousands of VHS tapes. I recently went through my closet filled with boxes of VHS tapes and DVDs and found several boxes of kung fu films on tape that I either haven't seen in a long time or have never seen. I pushed other boxes further back to put these up front for easier access. I watched one this week that I'd never seen before:

It's the story of how Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao learned their performing skills as youths in a struggling Peking Opera troupe. Sammo plays his own instructor, Master Yu. Fascinating film. And not in print in any format these days. When it was available on disc it was sold as a VCD through YesAsia only. Someone uploaded their copy to YouTube, so it can be seen that way.

But I have tons of Japanese and Hong Kong films on VHS that are not available in any other format. And as the years pass, the same is true of many of my DVD editions of HK and Japanese films. Many anime distributors, for instance, have gone out of business. I used to pick up tons of obscure anime on VHS back when used copies were selling for a couple of bucks each. Now it's obvious that these films exist only in the VHS copies that collectors like me have rescued.

This film, for instance, is the English dubbed version of ANJU TO ZUSHIOMARU (1961), an early Japanese animated feature based on the same story that formed the basis for Kenji Mizoguchi's SANSHO THE BAILIFF. It's quite a spectacular historical animated feature, with some Disney influence.

I bought it in a used video bin in a closing video store 20 years ago. Where are you going to find a copy these days? I bought the Japanese version on R2 DVD from Japan (it cost over $40) but it's in Japanese with no subs. Here's an image from the DVD:

The entire film boasts compositions like this.

This is a problem with lots of great early Toei theatrical anime features, all based on classical subjects. The English dub exists only on saved VHS copies, while the Japanese copies available (only from Japan) have no subtitles.

I tend to see my collection as an archive. I just wish I had funding to run it as an archive.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
110 NTSC Laserdiscs & Boxed Sets
70 HD-DVD's
350 Region 1 DVD's
180 Bluray
64 Bluray Steelbooks

After having spent so much money over the years (many of those Laserdiscs adjusted for inflation cost a lot of money so I will not part with them even though most are obsolete some still have IMO better digital sound than BD!! or extras/footage you cannot get elsewhere).

I only buy catalog titles I know I will rewatch again. Maybe 1 or 2 new movies a year but not many the standards are so low so I tend to buy around 40-50 Catalog titles on Bluray Steelbook or Amray Bluray per year.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Probably four thousand or more. I would have many more blu-rays, but the sort of classic films I enjoy are ignored by the studios and even the boutique companies these days. I love having all of them and keep them in a clean easy to access library setting. Some may call it hoarding, but I usually equate that with boxes of plastic bags piled to the ceiling and open scattered mayo jars swarming with cockroaches and NOT pieces of literature.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I had about 2500 Laserdiscs down to about 1200 now. (Purchashed between 1986-1999)
I had about 1500 VHS down to about 300 now. (Purchased between 1984-1996)
Around 3,300 DVD. (Purchased from 1997 - current)
35 HD-DVD down to 15 (Purchased from 2006-2007)
40 Bluray (Purchashed from 2014 - current)

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
I'm not so sure I want to know but if a picture is worth a thousand words...

CIMG9340.JPG

CIMG9337.JPG

CIMG9338.JPG

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
After a massive collection cull over the last few years I'm building my collection in a single area, which is the classics. I have 608 titles on 572 discs (DVD & Blu) accoding to DVDAf. That doesn't include my Disney collection and TV shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks