What's new

Six Feet Under Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I took that to mean that Claire couldn't take a "farewell" picture of the home she was leaving, because that home was already a thing of the past.

The last two episodes showed Claire finally detaching herself from the life she'd lived before and setting out in search of something new. (When she totals the green hearse and it's sold for scrap, the event is so literal that it's not even symbolism.) On the theory that the ghosts in 6FU express the characters' own thoughts, I think "Nate's" remark was Claire's realization that the family she felt trapped by didn't exist anymore, except in her memory. It was the last thing she needed to commence the journey east with the sense of what Nate Sr. said to David at the close of season 4 ("You can do whatever you want, you lucky bastard -- you're alive!").

M.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
They're the lyrics to a fantastic song, called Waiting by The Devlins.

Those who've been fans from the start/have watched the DVDs a few times will recognize it as the song that after while Nate jogs once he's decided to stay.

When he stands at the wall, and sees his father on a bus. Going somewhere, and then sees all the people around him.

To me, it was, and is, by far the most powerful sequence in the whole run of the series.

The concept of the song ties into the concept of the show so very well.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator

Sia - Breathe Me
Help, I have done it again
I have been here many times before
Hurt myself again today
And, the worst part is there's no-one else to blame

Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
Unfold me
I am small
I'm needy
Warm me up
And breathe me

Ouch I have lost myself again
Lost myself and I am nowhere to be found,
Yeah I think that I might break
I've lost myself again and I feel unsafe

Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
Unfold me
I am small
I'm needy
Warm me up
And breathe me

Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
Unfold me
I am small
I'm needy
Warm me up
And breathe me

wally

Second Unit

IIRC Maggie’s profession is pharmaceutical sales. While I didn’t DVR the episode, it looked to me like she was sitting in the Dr’s. office with a wheeled suitcase/bag. I took it that she had samples/literature in it

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
BTW (Sia –Breathe Me) I read that the song is about self-harm. I do not if I’m supposed to take anything from that. Also Rare Earth's song is heavy on my playlist right now, too. After watching the last 5 minuets, when I watched it Sunday night it was complete slow motion. It felt like so much longer. I am also thinking about how this show has made me view death much differently. I’m only 21 and up until now I've always said take me out quick. Now I think of how even dieing on your bedside via cancer and having the opportunity to finish/close things up; truly is a blessing that so many will never have the opportunity to do. And I like the thing about how all the family was waiting on Claire

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
btw, i thought one of the most powerful scenes was when ruth and claire had their heart-to-heart. it was amazing to see claire offer to stay just for her mom and her mom's unwillingness to let that happen. wowsers...

todd stone

Screenwriter
marqued

"why was Keith's ghost not of the age that he died when David saw him. That was out of place"

I took it as, David saw Keith the way he remembered and loved him the most, at the height of their relationship.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Let me reassure you slowly wasting away and dieing is anything but a blessing for the individual or for those who are left behind.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

This was my exact feeling when I finished watching this episode. I really liked all the deaths of the characters. To me, it gave complete closure to the series that always showed a death at the beginning of each episode. So why not show a bunch of deaths at the end of the series. It was a very emotional episode, indeed.

Brett_H

Second Unit
I have a question regarding the "ghosts". It's been said before that the ghosts that are seen on this show are just the projections of the person seeing them, and I agree with this.

So... when Brenda sees Nate Sr & Jr in the nursery she remarks something to the effect of "nice to finally meet you" to Nate Sr. I find it odd that she would have a vision of someone she'd never met, and yet still have him look and act correctly. I know she probably saw pictures, but it still struck me as odd.

-Brett.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Actually, she never says anything during that scene. Nate Sr. says "Hi. We've never met... I'm Nathaniel".

I think what the character see's isn't neccessarily supposed to be exactly what the viewer sees. Brenda probably envisioned Nate Sr. closely based on pics, but she probably imagines a different voice and mannerisms. The viewer experiences the character as we've always known them.

It's like when a character has a flashback of an event and we usually see the event unfold the way it was presented to us on TV originally, instead of in the exact point of view of the character who witnessed the event.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
something i was thinking about. when they showed claire on her deathbed, her eyes were fogged over ... like she had glaucoma or something. man, wouldn't that be brutal ... a person who makes their living taking pictures ends up not being able to see. :frowning:

SweeJin_L

Auditioning
They're cataracts, not glaucoma. Her eyes were cloudy.

Yeah, I guess it's pretty sad that she outlived (all?) her family memebers; hence apt title "Everyone's Waiting'.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Best Finale of all time. The show will be sorely missed, but it's been so damn good all the way through... I don't mind only five seasons.

I think the idea of Claire and Ted was to show that she was getting more of an open mind. The way she used to act used to be so black/white... Ted was meant to show her growing as a person and seeing things for different points of view.

Overall I found the deaths to be an amazing touch. They all had so much thought put into them... it was honestly the best way to end the show.

BTW, since the teaser for the season I've been listening to that song by SIA nonstop... and when Claire stuck it into the car radio and it began it really cemented in my mind that the series was over... and that what was coming was likely the final montage of the entire series... It really hit me in the gut then.

I still can't believe it's finally over.

Another catch...

In the season 1 finale, Tracy mentions that Harold & Maude is her favorite movie. Claire's destruction of the hearse is most definitely an allusion to that film, IMHO. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks