What's new

Six Feet Under Season 5 (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I just finished watching Season 5 this week. I had taped it and was waiting until I had a chance to re-watch Season 4 before I went into Season 5. All I can say is wow. I think they did a great job with show and pretty good with how they wrapped things up. I'm gonna miss seeing these characters in new situations.

I've been reading thru this thread. It's kinda funny all the predictions and how most of them did not come to pass, especially many of the early season ones.

It mostly seemed to me that Ruth moved George out not so much because that's what she wanted, but because she was influenced to do so by her friends. I think if George had stayed and improved as he had seemed to, (started treating Ruth nicer, etc.), and if Ruth had not had that outside influence, then she would have been happier being with George. When George was treating Ruth much better and Ruth was so cold, I expected George to turn Ruth's own words on her, "it seems that you really don't like me".

Actually, I don't agree and I think the point is that George had the necessary emotional detachment to have been able to really see Nate as he was, and was the perfect one to present these sides of Nate.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
hate to resurrect threads, i gotta say, out of all of the TV series i've seen, this show has the BEST series finale EVER EVER filmed. nothing else has come close by a long shot. so many shows go on until they overstay their welcome, but this show finished in such a glorious way!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yi, OK about resurrecting old threads. It's nice to revisit them and see what people may have to say now.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
thx. i totally loved the whole concept of the show. while i may not agree with all of the artistic direction in some of the characters and their motivations, it's still a classic in every rite of passage.

i loved how every single season, all of the characters grow from point a to a DIFFERENT point b. people move on, die, life goes on. it truly is like american beauty:the show. i didn't mind the morbid theme because it actually made you appreciate life (carpe diem stuff).

i also love how the show remained consistently good in its 5 year run. again, i loved the series finale. i've never EVER seen a better. can anyone really name another series finale to top this one? i just can't at all in the scope/magnitude.

mylan

Screenwriter
I have to agree, best finale EVER! My wife and I sat in stunned silence..then backed it up and watched again. I don't think any other show will ever compare, finale wise, The Sopranos included.
You always wonder, in movies and tv, whatever happened to the characters. Here you know.

Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta add that yes this was the best finale I've ever seen. I still keep a clip of the ending sequence on my PC and the song Breathe me has creeped into my playlist on my ipod.

I think when we look back at Six Feet Under as whole it was truly one of the better shows in television history.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
can you guys think of ANOTHER show with a series finale just as good? i honestly can't think of it. this has to stand as ONLY show with a GOOD series finale. i honestly can't think of a good finale. Babylon 5's series finale comes pretty close, but other than that... i really can't think of one.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also agree that this was one of the best finales, espacially the epilogue. I listen to the Breathe Me by Sia every once in a while to relive that sequence.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am only now catching up to this season, and have to ressurrect this thread 'cause I just watched Time Flies (Nate's 40th b'day party), the best episode in 2.333 seasons :laugh:. That bird was just killing me.

S5 so far has been a return to form after relatively less than stellar S3 & S4. Only issue so far is Rico's story, strictly by the number stuff. Lemme guess, he will get divorce papers in the mail a few days after banging Vanessa :rolleyes.

--
H

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
holadem, have you seen the series finale yet? once you do, come back and share with us what you think. =).

and if you're catching up on the show via DVD, check out hte bonus material. they interview a funeral dir. from Rockland, MA out of all places! =). didn't know cali people traveled that far to get consultants. anyway, it's one of the best shows ever with THE BEST SERIES FINALE EVER EVER made. thus far, i still haven't seen another series finale with this level of quality.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Not yet, I am only 4 eps into this season. I won't be back posting here till I am done sometime next week, it's difficult to avoid spoilers. I just wanted to comment on Time Flies, and didn't want to start another thread...

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Whoa.

The last few eps of 6FU ruined my saturday evening. Nates funeral thoroughly fucked me up, and robbed me from any desire to go out and do anything fun. Man, embarassing to say, I was a complete mess from the opening to the end. Very likely the most heartwrenching episode of any show I ever watched.

And then that final segment in the finale... quite at a loss for words really. It contains my favorite shot of the entire series, an older Dave standing alone by the tree at his mother's funeral, ever the professional, ever alone, as only a Fisher can be.

--
H - I still can't believe Nate is gone :frowning:.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
the series opened with nate (the father's death) and ended with nate (the son's death). quite a rythm.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
def. the best series finale i've seen.

began with nate's (father) death and ended with nate's (son) death.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I agree with everyone about the ending sequence. It was absolutely spectacular. I loved it. I rewinded it 4x and rewatched. Beautiful ending for an excellent show.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
One note, I don't know who writes the episode summaries on this show, but I REALLY like them. They are always devilishly accurate, yet spoiler free.

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In the Episode menus.

And also at the back of the DVD case.

Those 5 or 6 sentences perfectly frame the episodes. HBO does that for all their shows I've watched on DVD any, but SFU ones are the best.

--
H

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I know I'm resurrecting a year-old thread, but I finished this series tonight. I'm normally the type who feels a little lump in his throat in a touching scene sometimes, but always manages to hold it back. However, the final scene was a little too much for me. I grew to know the Fishers, loved and hated them, just like real people I know. None of them was perfect, and it makes the show feel so real. The writing and acting was top notch, as well as the complex character development. I love The Sopranos as much as anyone, but I can't say I've seen a better show than Six Feet Under.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks