What's new

Single-season wonders that deserve a DVD release (1 Viewer)

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned...

Max Headroom

Or perhaps even Homeboys from Outer Space :)

... well, at least I'm serious about the first one!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Actually I think there might have been 6 completed, at least that's how many are catalogued at the Museum of Television. And I have been in touch with people trying to make this a reality. So it's possible this may happen. By the way, quite a funny a show and it would have been a big hit had NBC not been so cowardly at the time. I believe that this might have been the first series to ever appear in the TV Guide fall preview issue to never make it to air.

As for Mr. Dugan, I have promos for it from a show that aired a few nights prior so this must have really been a last minute yanking. It's probably owned by Sony from their buyout of Norman Lear's company. Therefore I wouldn't think it would be a likely candidate for them.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Brimstone
Line of Fire
Eyes
Hawaii
Glory Days
Do Over
Happy Family
Run of the House
Sleepwalkers
Opposite Sex
Phenom
The $treet
Werewolf
Dead Last
Get Real

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The Visitor
Brimstone
Voyagers!
Seven Days (3 seasons, it didn't seem like it went that long though, sorry)
Time Trax (ok, 2 seasons)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Interesting reading although half of the shows on there are already released. So I'm not sure what their point is. I agree with them about Cupid and Now and Again but the writers must be very young as they don't list any shows prior to 1990 and I could name at least 25 good shows from the 60s that deserve a release.

EurovisionGS

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerhard
Two hilarious comedy series with one-season summer replacement runs that simply must see the light of day again are:

Filthy Rich
1982 spoof (15 episodes) on Dallas, Dynasty etc. starring Dixie Carter and Delta Burke, produced by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, who later gave us Designing Women.
The Powers That Be
Norman Lear produced this very funny 1992 Washington political comedy (21 episodes), written by Friends creators David Crane and Marta Kauffman, starring John Forsythe of Dynasty, the always hilarious Holland Taylor (now the caustically funny mother of Jon Cryer and Charlie Sheen in Two and a Half Men), pre-Niles Crane David Hyde Pierce, Valerie Mahaffey, Peter MacNicol (before he made a splash as sinuses-troubled John Cage on Ally McBeal) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (pre-Tommy Solomon in 3rd Rock from the Sun).

I have a lot of these episodes on worn-out VHS tapes and it would be awesome to make these two shows available on DVD :)

John*P

Second Unit
It's Your Move
Square Pegs
Good Morning, Miss Bliss
Whiz Kids
The Jackie Thomas Show
The Slap Maxwell Story
Manimal

And since some people are sneaking a few 2 season shows in...

Max Headroom
Summerland
Hello, Larry

Just the Ten of Us technically ran for 3 seasons... but the first was very short, and there are only 47 episodes in all.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Cimarron Strip (1967)
The Sixth Sense (1972)
Born Free (1974)
Spencer's Pilots (1976)
Delvecchio (1976)
Richie Brockelman, Private Eye (1978)
Eischied (1979)
Kaz (1978)
Noboby's Perfect (1980)
Tenspeed and Brown Shoe (1980)
The Yellow Rose (1983)
Style and Substance (1998)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
HERE's my TOP 10:

PRUITTS OF SOUTHAMPTON aka PHYLISS DILLER SHOW 1966-67 (ABC)
PAUL LYNDE SHOW 1972-1973
CHER 1975
SHIRLEY 1979-1980 Shirley Jones,Peter Barton
OH MADELINE 1983-1984 Madeline Kahn
GLORIA 1982-1983 Sally Struthers
A YEAR IN THE LIFE 1986 Sarah Jessica Parker, David Oliver
BRAND NEW LIFE 1989-1990 Barbara Eden
ODD MAN OUT 1999-2000 Erik Von Detten
MAYBE IT'S ME 2001 Reagan Dale Neis

:)

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
I loved that series and especially principal actress Jill Townsend as Dulcey. $345 for the season set is pretty daunting, however. This is a case where an existing release makes it next to impossible to consider buying the series. I wonder if there's a chance a more reasonable distributor might acquire the license up after the current holder?

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Not to mention that for that money you would be getting the same cut masters as are now running on Encore westerns. Apparently they remastered the series some time during the 80s when they were sold to CBN and they were done at a syndication length, chopping several minutes out of each episode. So, not only would you be paying a very high price but it would be for edited episodes.

Dillon*G

Second Unit
One show I really want is Fastlane which I have been watching in reruns lately. I know there is probably music rights holding it up because there is tons of music in this series.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
OK, my wish list:

HE AND SHE
TALES OF THE VIKINGS
THE WESTERNER
THE LEGEND OF JESSIE JAMES (Produced and directed by Don Siegel)
ON OUR OWN
and even though it's 2 seasons: CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU?

plus 2 that I'm sure I'm the only one who wants:

NOAH'S ARK (Jack Webb series from the late 50's about a veterinarian)
ICHABOD AND ME

LCD22

Screenwriter

I would love to see "Crumbs" on DVD. There are several episodes that haven't aired thanks to ABC's cancellation earlier this year. What's the likelihood Buena Vista would release this complete series on DVD? Anyone else want to see "Crumbs"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks