What's new

Simple PS3 Home Theater Question (1 Viewer)

JamesBoyd

Auditioning
Real Name
James Boyd
So, I am VERY new to home theater. I have a Sony Bravia HDTV and a Sony Playstation 3 that I wish to use as my DVD player. I have an extremely small living room, and have nowhere to place a 5.1 system at this moment in time. So, I will be setting up a 2.1 system.

My question is as follows. I have not bought my theater system yet, because I am confused about this. A lot of the systems come with a DVD player built into the receiver, as you all know. However, I wish to use my Playstation 3 as my DVD player. I actually can not find any 2.1 systems that are within my budget that do not come with a built in DVD player in the receiver. If I buy one of these systems, will it be possible to use my PS3 as my DVD player and still use the theater?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. As I said before, I am extremely new to all of this.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends entirely on the system you buy. It must have the appropriate connections. As a warning, most Home Theater In a Box (HTiB) have very limited connectivity.

-Robert

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald
Also James, if you are only connecting your PS3 to the home theatre system then most HTIB's have atleast one toslink (optical) input for your PS3. Quite simply, if you go and find a quality HTIB in your price range, just connect the front 2 speakers and the subwoofer, so you can stay within your price range while getting what you want.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Since your are using a 2.1 system, basic stereo from the PS3 will work. Run the component video into your TV and the stereo audio into your HTiB.

Grip
Real Name
Jonathan
Yeah, I don't see why not.

Try hooking the PS3 to the DVD section on the back of the receiver and the tv to the monito section. Hook up the speakers and sub. Plug everything in and power it all up, and everything should work out fine. Pretty simple. You can use both DVD players now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks