What's new

First Time Home Theater Owner (1 Viewer)

airic82

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Hi!
I'm about to close on my first home, and I'm looking to get it setup the correct way from the start. :)
I just purchased a 46" Samsung LED HDTV to add to the living room, so that my current 32" Samsung can move into the bedroom. I also already own a PS3, so I'm set for streaming movies and watching BluRays.
The only piece left, is the home theater system. Since I'm going to be mounting the TV above the fireplace, I'm going to have a friend come over to do the cabling. This led me to the idea of getting a sound system to act as a "switcher." That way, I can have him run electric, Cat6 and HDMI and be all set behind the TV. Home Theater HDMI out leads to the TV and I'm all set.
Sounds simple in my head, but my problem has become: what home theater system do I buy? My natural tendency would be to go with Samsung (since that's the brand of TV I own) or Sony (because I trust their products). I don't want to have to run wires all over the room, so I want the rear speakers to be wireless. With modern technology, I figured that would be easy.
I started looking into wireless Sony and Samsung packages, and noticed one thing: the amount of inputs kind of sucks. Sony at least seems to provide 3 HDMI, which Samsung provides 2. Plus, they don't offer many other options, like composite.
I really don't want to buy something I can quickly out grow. My needs are HDMI for DirecTV, HDMI for PS3 and composite for Wii.
It seems like my only option would be to buy a system as separate pieces, but that seems to get really expensive. I looked at Samsung's HW-D7000 and that's almost $700 itself!
So I'm turning here for advice. I'm really not up on home theater technology. I understand TV's well and the types of connections, but when it comes to planning out my room, I'm at a loss.
Like I said, my goals are pretty simple: I'd like a system that allows for multiple HDMI inputs plus maybe some others like composite. It really needs to have wireless rear speakers.
If anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful! Sorry, for the long description, but I wanted to make sure I got all the details out. Feel free to ask me questions, if I missed anything.
Thanks!
-Eric

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
People tend to run and hide from offering advice on wireless...
Cause going wireless...
1. Really isn't wireless
2. The sound quality sucks.

airic82

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Well I'm only looking to have the rear speakers be wireless. My understanding was that those speakers are primarily for sound effects. I'm not that much of a sound expert, so slight degrading probably won't matter to me.
I also know that wireless speakers need a wireless receiver, but I can easily put that behind the couch.
Maybe you could let me know more about why people frown so much on wireless?
Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Putting the wireless receiver behind your couch is the last place it needs to be. It is preferred the originating and receiving have line of sight. Anything the signal must go through...degrades the signal.
Other things that will degrade the signal...
Your cordless phone
Your cell phone
Your microwave
Your key fob for your car
Your neighbors cell phone
Baby monitors
Incandescent bulbs
Before you plunk down money for "wireless speakers"...go get a Miccus Bluebridge or Belkin FZ. Both of those are Bluetooth music receivers that will pair with an Ipod/Iphone/Ipad/Blackberry/computer...if that works in the room...wireless speakers will have a shot.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
You have an opportunity that most do not by having a fresh start. At this point it would be easy to run rear speaker wire. People frown on it because it isn't wireless like Sam said. Think about every wireless device you have ever used... Phone,game controllers,laptop,radio,anything. What do they have in common? Batteries. This is what makes them wireless. These speakers still need power to operate so while you don't need to run wires from the speaker to the receiver you still need to run them to the wall/outlet. So not really wireless at all.
Also and I'm sorry because I know you aren't going to want to hear this but if you really want something that you will not soon out grow you want to stay away from any home theater in a box made by a tv company. Even the most basic of systems made by an audio company will sound better, last longer, have more functions and will be better able to grow with your needs than any HTiB. Now I won't leave you high and dry... Check out accessories4less.com they have very capable receivers for $100 and you can easliy find reccomendatns on this forum for a speaker system for $300-400 then use the ps3 as a bluray streamer.
I know it's not what you said you wanted but I think most of us have tried wireless thinking it would be the solution to all our problems but it really isn't...

airic82

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Thanks, Nick and Casey. You've both said some realizations that I've come to over the past couple of days. I'm fortunate to have friends who also work in the media industry, so I've been picking their brains as well.
I already decided that I'll go with just getting a receiver and use it as a "switch" to get started and then add speakers as I can. I've noticed that most receivers allow for different speaker arrangements. I'll have the rear cabling installed, and add those speakers when I can afford them.
Casey, thanks for the list of brands to check out. I ruled out Samsung mostly because their receivers seem a lot more expensive for no good reason. One question though: why wouldn't you have Sony in that list? Sony was the brand I was seriously looking at because I have the PS3 and know and trust their equipment. Plus, it seems they have a good variety of receivers at decent prices.
Another question: I know that many "out of the box" solutions can have proprietary connections. Is that as true for stand alone receivers? I know I'll be sure to watch for that as I select, but just wondering if that's a general thing or not.
Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
-Eric

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Receivers that you buy use universal connections. RCA, which has been around since the 1960s. Dig coax/toslink, which has been around since the 1980s. HDMI, which is new. Many AVR, on the front, also use TRS(you know the 1/8th, also called 3.5mm)...that has been around since the 1870s. And no, 1870, is not a typo.

airic82

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Thanks, Sam. I should have specified I meant the output connections to the speakers, but you answered that and more. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks