What's new

Apple TV+ Shrinking (2023) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe halfway through the season, and "Shrinking" is becoming the new must-watch dramedy!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why hasn’t Harrison Ford done comedy before this? Perfectly and unexpectedly cast as “Paul”.

I don’t know that this is the next Ted Lasso but it’s pressing in that direction as the story unfolds and reveals deeper maturity.

What looks trite at the beginning is becoming a substantive understanding of trauma and personal growth.

And Harrison Ford going “woof”. 😆

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, how is it no one is watching the best comedy on TV right now? Shrinking is marvelous. This week’s episode … so good.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We've been watching the show, and we LOVE IT! Fantastic writing, direction, acting... it just all gels nicely, and yes, Harrison Ford is absolutely fantastic as Paul. This is great stuff!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is a delightful show, and I enjoy seeing now seasoned elders like Harrison Ford getting to play grumpy in comedy. Like Tom Hanks in A Man Called Otto, it’s just a really comfortable fit. Jason Segal and Jessica Williams are doing great work too.

I went into this show not knowing a thing about it and not having seen a trailer, and you’re gonna laugh but based on the title and Apple’s history of doing original shows with a little bit of a sci-fi bent, I thought this was going to be some sort of Ant-Man or Honey I Shrunk The Kids style comedy, with Segal as a man stuck in a rut who is able to re-examine his life when he’s shrunk down in size and wandering unseen through everything. Obviously that guess was nowhere near the ballpark :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This last episode was just so good. Jeff, Liz's husband, is my new hero! His explanation of his retirement plans was perfect. Their relationship is not my marriage dynamic. But there was a resonance in it for me. :)

And the swings between utter silliness (if not unrealistic) dog-naming situation over to Paul's high and then crashing low with his daughter keeps making the show better.

The opening of the episode with his daughter brushing aside his offer to clear the air with "the past is the past" and all the childhood pain is set aside was so hopeful. It felt real, becuase that's how people actually behave. And I believed it. But then the end when Paul refuses the offer to come live with them. And all her pain surfaced, everything she has held within for decades was said out loud. And this curmudgeonly-funny old man, who's so good with Grace, and generally great with Jimmy and Gaby, is now laid bare. We understand in a new way that he is broken emotionally in some very severe way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks