shows that have been destroyed

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
"Musical Chairs" is indeed likely gone but there are three extant episodes, one archival copy and two episodes from the final show of the next to last week and first show of the final week were uploaded to YT by a contestant! (her final appearance was pre-empted by a Gerald Ford speech).
Thanks for the info. I have another episode (just the audio) that was recorded from TV to a cassette tape.

Reactions: Jack P

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Would love to hear it if you can ever transfer it! Even audio only of lost game shows can be fun and fascinating (I have audio only of a few other lost shows of that era).

Reactions: MielR

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Would love to hear it if you can ever transfer it! Even audio only of lost game shows can be fun and fascinating (I have audio only of a few other lost shows of that era).
Yup, I'll try to put it up on YouTube one of these days. I'll let you know when it goes up.

Reactions: Jack P

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Are all the daytime episodes of Hollywood Squares from 1979 gone?
Reportedly a bunch of 1979 episodes were added to pad out the syndication package after the Las Vegas version got cancelled. Its unknown hown many of those survive or what the frequently thrown around number of 3,000 surviving HS tapes consists of if that number is even accurate. The Heater-Quigley/Filmways vault has never been fully cataloged AFAIK. The only shows that reportedly survive are those Hollywood Squares nighttime shows, its CBS prototype The Celebrity Game (one of the very few 60s games that exists on quad) and the original CBS run of Gambit.

I guess a gameshow like Musical Chairs (which had the first African-American host) is likely a goner.
Alas it was the penultimate game show made at WCBS so that does take a solid whack at its survival chances. Don Kirshner was however very good at preserving his other series so there's small chance it might be around.

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I have those PD Life Of Riley releases " from a very "nostalgic" company , and while they're are okay visually, they seem to be from TV
broadcasts .

That "nostalgic" company snatched up the trademarks and logos of the real, original "nostalgic" company that were expired/abandoned and is using that "merchants" company's good name and history to peddle public domain, "boots" and abandoned shows.

Reactions: bmasters9 and LouA

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
That "nostalgic" company snatched up the trademarks and logos of the real, original "nostalgic" company that were expired/abandoned and is using that "merchants" company's good name and history to peddle public domain, "boots" and abandoned shows.
I fondly remember buying VHS tapes from that original "nostalgic" company back in the 1980's .Laurel And Hardy , Hideous Sun Demon and many others .

Reactions: Susan Nunes_329977

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Life of Riley wound up with Fox, although as clueless as they are with their properties, they probably don't know it. When they syndicated it in the 80s, they only had 91 shows in the package while 219 were made.

UCLA has copies of all 18 Terry and the Pirates episodes.

AFAIK, Blondie is with Universal and I've no reason to believe otherwise. Just because people have looked for the Bruce Lee episode, doesn't mean they looked there or that they had the money to pay Universal's costs to transfer a 35mm negative.

I know who has all of the My Little Margie episodes, complete and uncut on one inch tape. Not sure where the 35mm negatives reside, although at one point the show was owned by Ziv International (not the same as Fred Ziv's company from the 50s that he sold to UA). That company wound up getting bought out by Warner, so it wouldn't surprise me if the negatives ended up there.

And by the way, if you look up some of these shows on the LOC website, you'll see that many of the ones we assume are PD and that are treated as such, aren't, but instead are "orphaned" shows, which did have copyrights that were renewed but the people who owned them died or the companies that did went out of business.
Regarding My Little Margie . Around two years ago season one was released by Nostalgia Family Home Video and the quality wasn't bad at all and the episodes appeared complete and unedited . I believe this was discussed on another thread, and it was assumed that the 1 inch tapes you referred to were the source for the Nostalgia Family release . No further seasons were release by that company . Since VCI has released 3 My Little Margie DVD sets , and they seem to favor complete series releases (Starlost , Annie Oakley ), maybe your acquaintance should reach out to VCI? It would be nice to see the complete series get a rlease . Just a thought ….

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Are all the daytime episodes of Hollywood Squares from 1979 gone?
The "perceived wisdom" is that the NBC tape wipings stopped sometime in mid-1978, so that would also apply to Hollywood Squares.

If the 1978-1980 daytime episodes are gone, they it would presumably not be the fault of NBC. Most likely, they're sitting in a vault.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
July