What's new

Showgirls V.I.P. Special Edition due July 27th! Ha! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
HAH! Now if they could put the VH1 version on a DVD, I would buy it in a second...

Well, a lot of people (but not me) have been looking forward for something like this for a long time, so :emoji_thumbsup: to MGM.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The new Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD has nude shots of Eric Balfour on the set. I like the idea of Showgirls' skin better!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Leave it to Weinberg to post about this piece of rubbish.

Wonder who will have the lowest price.......

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Colin...

And by the by, Showgirls is grade-A camp. Fans of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Flash Gordon and Barberella ate it up with a spoon, everyone else took it seriously and missed the point. Tarantino himself is on record laughing at everyone who thought Showgirls was intended to be taken seriously. It's a camp joke. You either get the joke or you don't.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
With all due respect to those who enjoy the movie, I think it's unfair to assume: if one hates Showgirls, it's because they didn't "get" it. I can plainly understand the reasons one MAY enjoy this movie, be it for camp value or for the naked bazooms, but I think it's an absolutely atrocious piece of filmmaking.

It's an ugly and unpleasant and altogether scabby little affair. I don't take it seriously at all...yet still it makes me feel like I need a shower. That one horrific subplot about the girlfriend being raped by her idol... made me want to spit on the screen. Rare is the film that can make naked women boring, but this one did just that for me.

I consider myself a HUGE fan of Verhoeven's work, but if I never see frame ONE of Showgirls ever again...well that's just fine by me.

As far as the impending SE, I'm totally indifferent to it. I'm happy for those who DO want to own it (as the DVD specs sound fairly impressive), but needless to say I won't be picking up a copy for myself. ;)

Now a Flash Gordon SE, on the other hand, is something that would thrill ME.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I have no intention of ever viewing Showgirls again, in any format. However, I don't think it is the worst film ever made. It's a joke. Some people get the joke, some don't.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
No way! I've been waiting for this to complete my Verhoeven collection, and July 27th happens to be my birthday.

Showgirls is absolutely hilarious.

Also, this isn't the first time that exclusive special features for a DVD have been created with female nudity - there was also Van Wilder. I bet that this will be a tease along the same lines.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
great news indeed and I will be buying this.

Re Patrick's post about those 2 epics that MGM could release, I am sure with the profits of Showgirls they could fund this.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The effort they are putting into this is just friggin hilarious. I don't think it is the worst film either but it certainly lingers among them. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If only this was April Fools day. It would have
made a great joke.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
No mention of a PV commentary track yet...? :frowning:

Or even a Berkley commentary? That would be great fun too. "This f*&%ing film ruined my career!" :D

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Davisdvd.com lists the specs. No PV commentary :frowning: NOw I'm having doubts.

We do get commentary by some kind of Showgirls expert.

Lame...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks