What's new

Showgirls V.I.P. Special Edition due July 27th! Ha! (1 Viewer)

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully there will be a Verhoeven commentary, since that is probably the only reason I would buy this. He's done one for all of his other films. And since he was man enought to pick up the Razzie for this movie, I think he would be willing to do a commentary as well.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I must say that I'm a little disappointed with the extras listed in the original post. None of them seem related to the film itself (except maybe the trivia track). Rather it plays up it's own campy quality with (probably needless)party games and junk. I'm not afraid to say that I really enjoy this movie and would have loved a commentary or docs discussing it's making and reaction when it was released. You can say a lot of subjectively bad things about Showgirls, but boring is rarely one of them!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey I'm only buying it to complete my Verhoeven collection, I'm a big fan of his. No? I'm buying it as a present for someone who really loves it. No? I'm writing a thesis on lapdancing and Vegas showgirls for my school paper and I need to study every frame carefully. No? I've.. I've always wanted to be a lapdancer...:b

It's rubbish I know, but rubbish with titties, it's mine!:D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea as someone whos growing tired of his corporate underpaid job, I keep hinting to my G/F that Im just gonna strip for a living.

So the bonus features on this disc could come in handy:)

BTW, sure this movie sucks but Ill buy anything that has Gina Gershon topless.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Verhoeven even recorded commentary for the episode of The Hitchhiker that he directed.

Maybe he wasn't available, since he's hard at work in the Netherlands on his next film Zwartboek (Black Book, a WWII thriller).

Specs aren't final yet, so I'm holding out hope.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I never seen this movie before, and the fact that it is so polarizing makes me want to see it all the more. It has nothing to do with the gratuitous nudity. :wink: Yeah, right. :b

Anyway, so am I understanding this press release correctly? Namely that the only way you can get an anamorphic widescreen version of this film is to plunk down $39.98 for a box set filled with useless crap like shot glasses and the like?

If so, this marketing "strategy" is getting old MGM. That's now two movies, Robocop (unrated director's cut) and Showgirls, which I will not be buying until they are available without the extraneous garbage. :thumbsdown:

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
A co-worker of mine was absolutely giddy that there were nude boobies on the menus - "the MENUS I say!" - for VAN WILDER. I swear he was more excited about that than anything else. Then again, if you met his girlfriend...:frowning:

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
.........Old School-Unrated had nude boobies in the menu too..............................good times.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Thank God MGM decided to give this film the full treatment, and leave masterpieces like Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring with barebone treatments with a terrible non-anamorphic transfer and poor subtitles. :rolleyes

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Of course, there was the Japanese High-Definition LaserDisc release [reportedly one of the better-looking MUSE transfers], which had Japanese subtitles and the government censorship mask over the crotch as applicable :laugh: . Surely Elizabeth Berkely has been in something since that picture, besides providing the lead female voice for an English-language anime movie in 1997...

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Elizabeth Berkely starred in Woody Allen's Curse of the Jade Scorpion to good reviews, and had a small role in Oliver Stone's Any Given Sunday.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

July 27th is also my birthday. :emoji_thumbsup: Perfect timing, eh. :)

It's unfortunate that Verhoeven, Berkley, and Gershon aren't involved with the extras, but somehow that seems understandable, especially Berkley and Gershon. A 3-way commentary with them would be great. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks