What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Route 66: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We're all fine. These subjects admittedly get too contentious for reasons that just boil down more to the matter of how much has one company done more for us individually in our minds than another and that will color our perceptions in certain areas.
In the interests of full disclosure and fairness, let me list all the titles I give a great vote of thanks to Shout for and which proudly reside in my collection as key series I am glad they acquired and brought to full fruition:
Dragnet (my Christmas marathons are complete thanks to this)
Adam-12
McHale's Navy
Kojak
Bill Cosby Show
Barney Miller
And on days when I don't let myself be self-conscious which is more than I do, even four years of "Ironside" can still provide many great long hours of viewing pleasure (and this is the superior part of the run, to be sure).

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Jack P said:
We're all fine. These subjects admittedly get too contentious for reasons that just boil down more to the matter of how much has one company done more for us individually in our minds than another and that will color our perceptions in certain areas.
In the interests of full disclosure and fairness, let me list all the titles I give a great vote of thanks to Shout for and which proudly reside in my collection as key series I am glad they acquired and brought to full fruition:
Dragnet (my Christmas marathons are complete thanks to this)
Adam-12
McHale's Navy
Kojak
Bill Cosby Show
Barney Miller
And on days when I don't let myself be self-conscious which is more than I do, even four years of "Ironside" can still provide many great long hours of viewing pleasure (and this is the superior part of the run, to be sure).
I concur with all those titles, Jack. Others that spring to mind for me are:
Patty Duke Show
Dennis the Menace
Mister Ed (I just have Seasons 1 & 2 so far but was disappointed with the edited episodes on S1)
Room 222 (Very grateful to have the first 2 seasons albeit disappointed seasons 3-5 will never see the light of day)
I know you can't always have every classic TV show exactly as you want it but you can at least try. :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Jack P said:
/t/318411/shout-factory-press-release-route-66-the-complete-series/60#post_3919774
I concur with all those titles, Jack. Others that spring to mind for me are:
Patty Duke Show
Dennis the Menace
Mister Ed (I just have Seasons 1 & 2 so far but was disappointed with the edited episodes on S1)
Room 222 (Very grateful to have the first 2 seasons albeit disappointed seasons 3-5 will never see the light of day)
I know you can't always have every classic TV show exactly as you want it but you can at least try.
Along with what Jack and Patrick listed, I'd add the following Shout titles I'm really happy have been released:

Leave it to Beaver
Father Knows Best
That Girl
Hazel
Hey Dude (an 80's series my kids love)

And in the spirit of good will myself, I'll say that I really am happy that WBA released that first season of Tarzan. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from that, along with Jack's F.B.I., the Christmas set they put out a year or so ago, and some of the cartoons they've released.

Gary "hoping everyone gets what they want" O.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I'll add that I'm gratefull for the second seasons of Here Come the Brides, S.W.A.T., and Police Woman. I hope they add The Rookies as well.
I think SHOUT does great work most of the time. They've saved many a stalled show.

David Com

Agent
Will Green said:
David Com, Thank you for posting the information regarding the S1 edits and PQ. Would you please share with us your opinion on the A/V quality of S4?
Haven't watched any full episodes yet, just spot checked a few. They look good, on par with the Season Three release from Infinity. Honestly, despite the fact that a handful of episodes are slightly edited, I'm just happy to have the whole series at this point. I had watched all three seasons and was almost certain the last season would never see the light of day. Now I can finally get to the end of the road!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
David Com said:
Haven't watched any full episodes yet, just spot checked a few. They look good, on par with the Season Three release from Infinity. Honestly, despite the fact that a handful of episodes are slightly edited, I'm just happy to have the whole series at this point. I had watched all three seasons and was almost certain the last season would never see the light of day. Now I can finally get to the end of the road!
I have pre-order the complete set as i like Martin Milner's acting. I never seen the show as a kid as i was born after the series ended. I got into the series through blogs like home theater forums. I am classic tv show buff and take every opportunity to watch or collect the classic show.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/318411/shout-factory-press-release-route-66-the-complete-series/60#post_3920943
I have pre-order the complete set as i like Martin Milner's acting. I never seen the show as a kid as i was born after the series ended. I got into the series through blogs like home theater forums. I am classic tv show buff and take every opportunity to watch or collect the classic show.

Good for you, Paul. I love hearing how others became fans of vintage TV. I'm positive you'll be happy once you get the set. I'm also planning on purchasing it, in spite of the reviews. That last season holds a lot of intrigue for me, and I'm not going to miss out on it.

Gary "a couple of episodes were filmed in my home town so I want to see if I recognize any landmarks or such" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Good for you, Paul.  I love hearing how others became fans of vintage TV.  I'm positive you'll be happy once you get the set.  I'm also planning on purchasing it, in spite of the reviews.  That last season holds a lot of intrigue for me, and I'm not going to miss out on it.
Gary "a couple of episodes were filmed in my home town so I want to see if I recognize any landmarks or such" O.
Thanks Gary!
i only watch classic tv shows now as today tv with reality just does not do it for me. When i see the tv signs people like kardashian to 40M, but does little to bring back documentary/historical/classical acting. It is sad world we live in today that we have to make money off people's miserable lives!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
younger1968 said:
Thanks Gary!
i only watch classic tv shows now as today tv with reality just does not do it for me. When i see the tv signs people like kardashian to 40M, but does little to bring back documentary/historical/classical acting. It is sad world we live in today that we have to make money off people's miserable lives!!
And the Networks cannot figure out why they are losing viewers! :rolleyes:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
younger1968 said:
/t/318411/shout-factory-press-release-route-66-the-complete-series/60#post_3920977
And the Networks cannot figure out why they are losing viewers!
Yep.

Gary "it's really sad" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
I feel the same way, Paul.  Thank goodness for classic TV on DVD.  I'm not sure I'd even own a TV anymore without the ability to watch these old shows.
Yep.
Gary "it's really sad" O.
Yes, it is sad with junk the network are pushing out now. There are some decent shows, but the reality shows that star people like Kardashians is just wrong. It is nice to want make money, but how people that have no talent make more money then some of the old great actors ever did. I remember reading that actors would take guest roles as part of supplementing their income when they did not make pictures.
The values of yesteryear tv is something that is still important today. The old tv shows focus on the family sitting and watching the tv series. However, today that is not the case with all the technology and cable companies creating well over 130+ channel there is so much being thrown down are throats, especially quantity not quality.
Ideally, if i could do my own online tv network then i would break it down in the following ways:
1. Classic Space (space series prior to 1980)
2. Documentary - (Jacques Cousteau/in search of/wild kingdom, etc)
3. Mini-series/night-time soap operas
4. Family Sitcoms
5. Classic Drama TV.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I keep wondering how much longer can the Television Industry, especially Pay-TV, can last. In my 52 years of existence I have NEVER seen a Company that adopts a "Higher Price-Lower Quality" mode stay in business for very long. I have seen legions of companies, large and small, go out of business because they put themselves in this situation, and consequentially lose their customers. When people see a company raise its prices for a product, and at the same time lower its quality, they do one of two things. they either:
A - Seek that product from another source
B - Substitute that product with something else.
Yet for the past decade this is EXACTLY what the Pay-TV Industry has been doing. The raise the subscription rates time and again (I hear their price increases are over twice the national inflation rate) AND at the same time they lower the quality of what they show by adding the number of commercials shown during a program, and replacing high-quality Classic TV Shows with lower-quality "Reality" Shows. Listen folks, a House divided against itself CANNOT STAND! And now I feel these companies are beginning to reap what they have sowed. People are abandoning the networks on both Broadcast and Pay-TV Networks. Some seek their entertainment needs via online sources such as Hulu and Netflix, among others. Others have attached an outdoor antenna to their sets and watch their shows that way. Others simply turn to other sources, such as Home Video to get their entertainment. If the Pay-TV Industry doesn't turn from what they are doing, sooner or later they will be unable to sustain themselves, and when that happens, LOOK OUT!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
I keep wondering how much longer can the Television Industry, especially Pay-TV, can last. In my 52 years of existence I have NEVER seen a Company that adopts a "Higher Price-Lower Quality" mode stay in business for very long. I have seen legions of companies, large and small, go out of business because they put themselves in this situation, and consequentially lose their customers. When people see a company raise its prices for a product, and at the same time lower its quality, they do one of two things. they either:
Yet for the past decade this is EXACTLY what the Pay-TV Industry has been doing. The raise the subscription rates time and again (I hear their price increases are over twice the national inflation rate) AND at the same time they lower the quality of what they show by adding the number of commercials shown during a program, and replacing high-quality Classic TV Shows with lower-quality "Reality" Shows. Listen folks, a House divided against itself CANNOT STAND! And now I feel these companies are beginning to reap what they have sowed. People are abandoning the networks on both Broadcast and Pay-TV Networks. Some seek their entertainment needs via online sources such as Hulu and Netflix, among others. Others have attached an outdoor antenna to their sets and watch their shows that way. Others simply turn to other sources, such as Home Video to get their entertainment. If the Pay-TV Industry doesn't turn from what they are doing, sooner or later they will be unable to sustain themselves, and when that happens, LOOK OUT!
Great post!
I have a finance background and do not understand how media execs are seeing value with parading Kardashians around into a tv shows. It is pretty sad the people find interest in people that have zero talent, but i guess it is all about marketing so people see some value with following people lives around. The problem is i see there comes a point where saturation happens and people decide enough is enough when comes to watching and decide to shut things down. Each decade has had different influences on TV, especially on how family has changed since the 1960s through the current era. The internet kids want everything on demand and that has a lot to do with handheld devices and computer/internet being part of their education. What i do not understand is why documentary shows are not part of the curriculum. I feel shows like Route 66 have some true value if you were to study acting/scripting and the overall flow of the episodes. The problem is kids today have little interest in classic shows and that is sad. I remember not that long ago my girlfriend was over one night and i had mission impossible on the tv and she said what are you watching honey and i said mission impossible. She turn around said that is not Tom Cruise. I said to her this is the original show. So, i think if the networks were to position things better then there could be some values in the old shows.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We will be coming out with our review in the next week or two, but in case you see another review post first, Shout told us there was a problem with audio sync on the first disc of the first pressing which was used for review copies. It was caught and corrected prior to any being shipped to retail, so if you see any reviews mentioning audio problems, don't worry any set you purchase will have the corrected disc.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Regulus said:
Yet for the past decade this is EXACTLY what the Pay-TV Industry has been doing.
Some would argue that is what MOD programs are doing now as well, higher price-lower quality.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Gary OS /t/318411/shout-factory-press-release-route-66-the-complete-series/60#post_3920961
Quote:

I love hearing how others became fans of vintage TV.

I am the same way, Gary. As well hearing non-spoiler reviews of vintage TV from everyday people, not just all the so called "critics" who flood the internet. I might be wrong, but it seems to me there used to be a lot more discussions like this in these forums before all the bickering over studios started to predominate.

I also agree with Dr. Regulus and his assessment of Pay TV in its current incarnation and how much it has deteriorated in the past 10-15 years. If it wasn't for TCM and my girlfriend, I would have ditched cable long ago. I rarely watch anything that I can't see somewhere else in a better, more convenient and desirable format. Everytime that monthly bill comes I shake my head and ask how many worthless channels and Spanish stations were added to have raised the prices this time?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Professor Echo said:
I am the same way, Gary. As well hearing non-spoiler reviews of vintage TV from everyday people, not just all the so called "critics" who flood the internet. I might be wrong, but it seems to me there used to be a lot more discussions like this in these forums before all the bickering over studios started to predominate.
I also agree with Dr. Regulus and his assessment of Pay TV in its current incarnation and how much it has deteriorated in the past 10-15 years. If it wasn't for TCM and my girlfriend, I would have ditched cable long ago. I rarely watch anything that I can't see somewhere else in a better, more convenient and desirable format. Everytime that monthly bill comes I shake my head and ask how many worthless channels and Spanish stations were added to have raised the prices this time?
I am glad for threads, like Route 66 that enables many us to discuss classic tv. As I mention before I was not born when the show first aired from 1960 to 1964, but gain interest through discussion blog as well as youtube. It is neat to see the following these classic shows have with different people.
Today’s TV seems to want prey on people that have little talent or their lives are such as mess that makes people think they are lives can not be all that bad. However, what is frightening too me is shows like simple life or kardashians or jersey shore have a following, because those shows have zero acting and/or scripts with any value!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
We can argue the merits or lack thereof about all of the reality garbage that's on the air now all we want. The bottom line IS the bottom line. This crap gets ratings. If the morons weren't watching, they wouldn't be putting it on the air. Its that simple. And just like expansion in sports watered down the product, the same goes for television. 3 networks, PBS and a few independents in each market are a lot different than hundreds of channels. Finally, there are some good networks showing vintage shows (ME-TV, Antenna and RTN). But it took digital subcarriers to bring them about. And even these channels don't show the really obscure shows.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Neil Brock said:
And even these channels don't show the really obscure shows.
Here's where we can thank Heaven for Companies such as Shout! Factory, Timeless, Mill Creek and others, who have put out DVDs of older TV Shows, many of which haven't been seen since they were cancelled decades ago. If it weren't for people such as these, I'm sure there would have been HUNDREDS of TV Series that we'd NEVER be able to see. Yes, there are those series we want that simply are not available, we all have our "Holy Grails" that we hope beyond hope will one day be available. Let's all be thankful for what we've been able to obtain. Nothing but "Reality" Shows to watch tonight on "Appointment TV" Tonight? Fire up the Video Player, here's an "Oldie but Goodie" I'm sure you'll like. It's about a Fellow who built himself a... :laugh:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just want to randomly say that whenever I read one of Neil's post, I always hear it in the voice of General 'Buck" Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove in my head and, somehow, it works perfectly. Especially any time the words "crap!" or "garbage!" come into play. Now THAT'S staying in character. The picture is a great cue. I recommend this to everyone. And watch Dr. Strangelove again if you've lost the tone. I just screened it for my 15 year-old son and he loved it. Insanity never dates.
It reminds me of Steve Allen's bit where he used to read a letter to the editor in the mood they were undoubtedly written in. Great bit. And remember ... no fighting in the War Room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks