What's new

Should we even begin worrying about HVD? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Projector. I will not be upgrading mine until I can get one that is full HD like that Sony one for instance. I will play the waiting game

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya Neil. I just went from a Matterhorn, (albeit a VERY good one!) to 720P so I will be a happy Dave for a couple of years! Ron, can you email my gf and explain why we need HDdvd!

:)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
this article has some more NEW info on HVD:

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2881.phtml
^wow, just wow. the only barrier to entry is $120/disc and $15k for burner. yeah i know it's cost/GB, but still.

how many GB is uncompressed 1920x1080p? if they get upto 1.6TB, could that store 2 hours of 1920x1080p?

we're getting uncompressed 5.1 soon through TrueHD... now uncompressed 1080p is in sight... =).

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Well,

If we assume 30 gigabytes is compressed 1080p, and we know it's usually less, and assume a factor of 4-10 for compression...

It'd consume 120 gigabytes to 300 gigabytes.

This is alot of space here, I mean were talking 1,600 gigabytes of space by 2010. I *really* wouldn't be at all surprised if someone told me that 4k res could fit on one uncompressed.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that TrueHD is compressed: as are all of the new audio formats. Compression does not equal loss and lossless does not mean uncompressed.

Compression is an issue when processors are not sufficiently fast to fully decompress on the fly or when data is lost due to the compression/decompression algorithms.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Although transfer speeds in the gigabit/second range are promised (bluray, for instance is limited to 72 Megabits/second), DVI is 1.65 Gb/s.

1920 horizontal *1080 vertical *24 frames per second *3 channels *10 bits per channel= 1.4930 Gigabits/second.

A wee bit of compression may be necessary.

edit: and a 7200 second movie would occupy 11 terabytes.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Wow.

Didn't think it'd require so much space, any chance you could post the equation for that? I'm not questioning you, I just find it interesting(Yes, I'm a geek).

Transfer speeds are important to note, in the link I posted above, another company has managed to hit the gigabit/second range on HVD using Nanotech.

Unfortunately, missing the capacity by a factor of 10 :frowning:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Oops. Forgot a division by eight.

30 bits per sample*1920 horizontal samples per frame*1080 vertical samples per frame*24 frames per second * 60 seconds per minute * 60 minutes per hour * 2 hours per film * 1 byte/8 bits per byte=1,343,692,800,000 bytes

reducing to 24 bits per sample, and it's only 1074954240000 bytes

Hmm, it could be doable, if lossless (e.g. png) compression was used.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
1.3petabytes, wow. that means we need about 900 HVD's for true uncompressed 1080p =. damn. hell, it's easier just to buy a copy of the film element for $3k =).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
No, you're off by a factor of 1024

The traditional (i.e. binary) prefixes:
byte 1 bytes (one)
kilobyte 1024 bytes (a thousand)
megabyte 1048576 bytes (a million)
gigabyte 1073741824 bytes (a billion)
terabyte 1099511627776 bytes (a trillion)
petabyte 1125899906842624 bytes (a quadrillion)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
my guess, however, is that until hdcp is substantially revised, lossless movies will be a pipe dream.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Then what's a bazillion:laugh:
Just kidding, talking about knowledge is power:emoji_thumbsup:. My guess is that Toshiba is making a good investment, IMHO that's all it is at this time even if there's a claim that Drives will be available in 2007, this will probably fall by the wayside and won't be an issue. This thing has the potential to be very, very expensive regardless of the claims here.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I see HVD if it is a real viable technology as being something that should not be introduced until 10 years from now. If both HD-DVD and Blu-ray both fail. What would make them think that the public would embrace HVD? Why would we need that kind of storage for movies or even games? At this stage of the game considering the technical requirements of HD material. IMHO HVD is overkill and not necessary in todays market.

There is no doubt however that this kind of storage would be useful in the PC market. However the use for this kind of mass storage on a single disc may only be useful for corporations for the most part. One of the two formats (HD-DVD or Blu-ray) need to succeed in order for the HD format become more widely adopted by the general public.

I am buying both HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and am hoping there is a eventual winner. I would not be willing to support yet another format just becuase of its outragous storage capability. Also one of these current formats needs to remain in the market place at least 10 years as consumers will only get tired of replacing media every 5 - 7 years. So even the apperience that one of these format could be quickly replaced with yet another format is a bad thing and only serves to hurt the industry as a whole.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I say forget HVD. What we should really be worried about is tech where we'll all be plugging our brains into the wireless neural nets.

Sweet...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks