What's new

Should the WORST films ever made have DVD releases? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Al: Oh...my...gawd!!! :laugh: THAT was one of the funniest things I've read in a loooooong time! He really nailed that movie experience! :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh...Strip.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

That pretty much sums it up. Someone somewhere is almost always going to want some movie on dvd for one reason or another. That being said, George, where is Howard the Duck? Come on. Break down on this one...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
That's right, I didn't - it's a great movie. I was simply listing other Bob Clark films, in case anyone didn't know who he is. I love Black Christmas, also; I think it's one of the best modern horror films.

By the way, I happen to believe that all popular films should be given a DVD release. But to say that all films should be given a DVD release is streching it a bit, as there over 400,000 films in existance. Should every Icelandic film ever made be available on region 1 DVD? Should all snuff movies be officially released on DVD?

When I said "worst", I am refering to films with bad scripts, bad acting, bad direction. I don't mind it those films have beautiful cinematography, though!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Film is art, and in that sense, who can define the worst films?

That being said, some films are definitively bad art, considering plot, score, acting, script, etc. I think of Peral Harbour (appalling and pathetic historical deconstructionism at work), Battlefield Earth (no redemptive value), Mrs Doubtfire (horrendous attempt to justify the abdication of responsibility).

So, different values can be applied to declare something good or bad...definitively. Does that negate their value to DVD? Nah...bad art is still bad art, but if someone wants to view it; to deny them such is an unjusitifiable form of discrimination and censorship.

Crap happens! For the record, I liked Wing Commander!

Claude North

Second Unit
I feel that all films deserve to be preserved, and that notorious Hollywood flops are an integral part of film history.

Gable and Lombard is one that's been released on DVD. But I'd love to see Lost Horizon, At Long Last Love, Moment By Moment, and Windows receive DVD releases as well.

And on the topic of Bo Derek, how can you forget the amazing Ghosts Can't Do It?

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
"That also explains why all of Kevin Smith's pottymouth crapfests are on DVD. "

Crapfest? What movies are you into dude?

On a different topic - I watched Alien Vs. Predator last night and that is up there in terms of sucktitude!

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I won an ebay auction for it after trying to find it for a few months. By the time the tape arrived, and it was pretty poor quality, Starz aired it the next week and I recorded that onto DVD-r instead. I felt since I had put in so much effort, I ought to write a review, no matter how I felt about the movie.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Everytime someone asks me if they should watch a movie that they've heard nothing but bad things about, I quote Pauline Kael to them:

"In order to appreciate great art, one must apprecitate great trash."

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't agree more. I for one like Ishtar, one of the movies always guaranteed to make the top 10 worst films of all time lists. I would love to see it on DVD but don't think it will ever happen. I do admit that before watching it I lock all the doors and shut the curtains just so I don't upset the neighbors.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
And where, oh where is Stroker Ace?

Ah well, any really bad movie will eventually end up on TBS if you wait long enough...:b

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Whenever I see her name mentioned (which is mercifully rare) I remember something that Steve Allen said while emceeing a "Night of a Thousand Stars" gala in New York around the time she was being relentless promoted as the next big thing:

"If a meteor hits this buidling tonight, then Pia Zadora is a 'star'."

:)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, it just goes into the rotation with the alternate day airings of Beastmaster. :) (Beastmaster being TBS's answer to The Shawshank Redemption on sister network TNT. :D)

Regards,

Joe

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Well, there is that guy who ran a film camera on the Golden Gate Bridge for a year. He got permission by telling the city it was a nature film or something, but at the end of it, he admitted that his intention was to film people jumping off it. He filmed something like 14 suicides. (This was just in the news about a week ago.)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Sadly, I think "bad" films will almost always outsell "great" films, due to our obsession with kitschy pop culture. Consumers would much rather be entertained by Hollywood garbage than be challenged by an "art film." (I concede that one person's "garbage" is another person's "art," and vice-versa.)

I'll wager that Fox Home Video's DVD release of From Justin to Kelly: With Love (IMDb's third lowest rated film of all time) outsold Criterion's The Rules of the Game (which finished as the third greatest film of all time in the 2002 Sight & Sound poll) by at least tenfold.

[Before someone invokes the Amazon.com sales ranks:

#5,128: From Justin to Kelly: With Love
#1,142: The Rules of the Game

I'll argue that From Justin ... was much more likely to be purchased at a B&M retailer (Walmart) than the much-less-easy-to-find Rules..., which many were forced to buy online.]

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't that technically be a mondo film not snuff. No-one was deliberately killed for the purposes of the film. I admit it pushes the boundaries somewhat. There's plenty of mondo films on DVD...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks