What's new

Should Receivers Have 7 Speaker Inputs for Dolby Digital-EX and DTS-ES? (1 Viewer)

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to open up the discussion to all in this group...

I'm seeing next-generation receivers are including 7 speaker inputs (i.e. Sony's new DA4ES and DA7ES):

Front Left-------Center-------Front Right

Left Surround-----------------Right Surround

--------------RearA-----Rear-B

My question is... what's the point of having two rear surrounds (A & B on the diagram above)? I figure in a DD-EX or DTS-ES mix, having two rear speakers (especially since the sound is matrixed, mono) will reduce the overall quality of the rear soundstage as there is only 3 discrete channels being sent out by the receiver for these areas. It would almost be like having two centers speakers. Is this really a good thing or should you just have one rear?

Now if SDDS was a home theater option, this would make sense to have 7 inputs (since that format is 7.1 discrete), but that isn't the case with DD-EX and DTS-EX (6.1 discrete formats)

I guess we could say the same thing about the 2 subwoofer inputs on most new receivers out in the marketplace.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like future proofing.

Who knows what formats the future will bring?

A few years ago no-one thought to add 5.1 inputs on equipment.

Many many manufacturers are already adding 6.1 or better inputs well before Sony did.

T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks