Should Or Shouldn't ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Heres the story.......
    Theres a girl at work. I like her of course as friends, I know she has a boyfriend who basically treats her like dirt, and from the stories I have heard, the guy sounds like a well....loser.
    Anyways, it was her birthday TODAY. Since I dont work Monday or Tuesday I didn't know anything about it. Of course I wished her Happy Birthday and what not. I asked her what she was doing tonight & said "Nothing" However, the girls at our work were nice enough to plan a Friday night for her.
    So. All in all I felt bad for her. And me being the Mr.Romantic that I am and feel every woman should at least get flowers on their birthday, so I went out & bought her a nice little bouquet of flowers ($14.99)
    But now, I am thinking, maybe this isnt such a good idea. Will I give off the wrong impression. I work at a small personal place & am thinking "Maybe I shouldn't" The people at work know how much I like her, but I have no idea what she thinks about me. What if this is embarassing to her....etc.
    And thats why I am here. You have 7.5 hours to reply [​IMG]
    I leave for work at 5:30am
    Any tips/suggestions?
    Edit: I was thinking. I could just set the flowers on her desk without anyone knowing or a card......[​IMG]

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Hmmm, a little dilemma. Frankly, I would skip the flowers(give them to your Mom, she'll love them) and get the girl a nice card. It will put you in her good books that you cared enough to get her one, but not freak her out.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

well if she seems shocked, just tell her it's your way of saying happy b-day, and if she seems very happy, well then great, your in. Flowers are pretty harmless. They can mean get well, thank you, I love you, your a good friend, etc etc. Your safe with the flowers so don't be worried.

4. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

What I would worry about is the undue stress she may receive from her current idiot boyfriend if she gets flowers from someone besides him.

5. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

I say just give her the flowers, and if she starts acking werid (withing 1-2 seconds of you giving her the flowers) I think you have the perfect line; just say "I think all girls deserve at least flowers on their birthday"...

I would think it would go over well...

6. Rain

Rain Producer

Give her the flowers.

Lots of people give flowers with no romantic message intended. She will probably think you're just being a sweet guy.

What's the worst that could happen?

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

8. Rain

Rain Producer

If she thinks she's gonna get grief from the boyfriend, she would presumably just keep the flowers in a vase on her desk at work, don't you think?

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

10. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

I agree with Rain. Tell us how it went.

11. Sean P

Sean P Agent

Depends on the flowers. Roses, maybe not. Daisys/assorted nice mix, you should go ahead and give them to her. Of course, this is from a guy who just got a friends email from a girl, so take it with a grain of salt.

12. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Go for it. If she gets grief from her boyfriend, maybe that'll be the last straw and she'll leave the dope.

13. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

14. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Ok, I've been in similar situations as this.
    Step 1) Get the flowers, but steer well-clear of roses. Repeat: DO NOT BUY ROSES!!! They are romantic flowers and will definately give off the wrong impression. Instead, try to go for a regular assorted mix of non-threatening flowers (ie. Daisies, Carnations, Daffodils, etc). It just needs to look nice, not cost you a bundle.
    Step 2) Buy a card with a humourous twist. Make it funny so that she get's the impression that you're having fun with it and not getting to serious.
    Step 3) When you sign the card, have everyone else in the office sign it as well. That way it appears that everyone wanted her to have flowers on her birthday, and no one is going to accuse you of trying to woo her away from her boyfriend (even if he is a putz).
    As for Mr. Boyfriend, not to sound short but it's none of your business. It's up to her to ditch the pantload for someone better (you). Don't involve yourself in it in any way, as it'll just cause you undue stress at work as it'll look like you're meddling & scheming to break them up.
    Moe.

15. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen

16. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Hey Brian,
    It's too late for my input, but I would have done something different:
    >> I asked her what she was doing tonight & said "Nothing"
    Next line: "What? You're kidding? Look, everyone deserves a nice birthday. Let me take you out to dinner."
    And if she stumbles or otherwise appears unsure, you can follow with, "No pressure - just a bite to eat and some friendly conversation."
    Voila. You're in. Just keep the evening professional - treat her like a lady, but keep the conversation friendly (as opposed to intimate). With a boyfriend in the loop, you can't have her thinking this is a "date".
    Of course, this does you no good now, but remember it for next year... [​IMG]

17. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino