What's new

Should I take home and try out the sunfire sub? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I am interested in either the Sunfire Signature 13" cube or and SVS... PB2+ or PC-Ultra. Now I know not many of you are big fans of the Sunfire. But I have a chance to take it home and demo it. Should I? Reason I am not sure is I will be taking it to ron from SVS's office to head to head it.

Ryan T

Second Unit
It never hurts to try but If small size isnt a high demand for your theater or music room you will surely get much better performance going with SVS or acoustic visions sub. I have heard the sunfire myself it is impressive for the size but the distortion is a bit too much for me. I havnt heard the SVS yet but i have a DIY tempest that is very similar to a SVS ultra. I would only get the sunfire if you have major size constraints and a lot of money to burn :D.

Ryan

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, definitely bring it to Ron's and listen to it get utterly crushed by the SS or the PB2+ or whatever else he has on hand.

Then hand Ron your check for the PC-Ultra.

See sentence #2.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Lol. Wow that was fast. Well I am going to try and see if my boss will let me take it home tonight. But I am still very very very very leaning towards the SVS and I still havnt heard it yet.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Yeah I know but Im still gonna take it home and try it in the morning. Its not a bad sub. But I can tell there is some serious distortion and that it has to be eq'd dynamically. It isnt very flat but we will see. I know I will like the SVS better.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I agree that you definitely need to take the Sun home and give it a try. It will just eat at you if you don't.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Never pass up the chance to audition any component. And certainly never pass up the chance to do a comparison between two components. Doesn't matter if you "know" that it wont be a fair fight, it's always a learning experience. It's much better than taking people's word for it. That being said.... have fun with the SVS when you get it :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Don't forget most people really don't like good clean bass until they get used to it. Most of my friends were not really impressed with my two Tempests and to Shivas (when I had them) until they tried to replicate some of the nuances of sound at home. What to me is more noticible is going the opposite direction, that is listening to a muddy sub.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I just listened to the Sunfire and it is pretty muddy. It doesnt really shake the room either... but I liked it more turned down. It doesnt have "Punch".... Plus its ugly. It also seemed like it distorted.. and it didnt seem to play very low.

Lol. I asked my wife what she thought of the cosmetics of it.. she said she would rather have the 4' tall Cylinder SVS. I never saw that coming.

Ryan T

Second Unit
the svs subs arnt very pretty either. I would take the looks of the Sunfire over the SVS any day. Thats just my opinion though.

Ryan

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well the funny thing is my wife thinks the SVS Cylinder will match my boston towers better than the Sunfire.

But the other sub I am interested in is the martin logan descent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks