Should I go with wireless linksys or netgear?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnTKline, Feb 28, 2003.

1. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure which of these brands to get, but I have read some reviews about linksys wireless that has me a little nervous. Also, linksys has 2 different usb adapters, one is more compact, which I guess are just cosmetic in size. And now they have this wireless-g version which supports 54mps or something.
    So I don't know if I should just get the 11mps router and say that's good enough or spend the extra for the newer router? Any positive reviews of linksys here? This is what I planned on getting:
    Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless access point router
    Linksys WUSB11 wireless usb adapter or the compact version
    Linksys wet11 bridge

Raildog

2. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

John, I recently upgraded to a Linksys wireless setup using the BEFW11S4 and the WET11 - so far so good! I have no complaints. *knocks on wood* I have all of my consoles connected to a Netgear switcher which is in turn connected to the WET11.

What are the reviews saying that are making you nervous? Poor quality? Frequent drops? Hard to setup?

3. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I've got the BEFW11S4 and the wireless PCI adapter. I was too cheap to spring for the wireless bridge but I don't regret it at all. Everythign works perfectly on both ends (well not on the end controlling the controller but i don't think i can blame that on anyone but me).

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Go with 802.11g. 802.11b is pretty slow. It will still work, but not as well.

-Dave

5. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Doesn't 802.11b's speed well outstrip broadband's bandwidth?

-j

6. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

7. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

8. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

well if he's just got an xbox and a pc connected there would be no point of going to .11g

9. JohnTKline

10. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

11. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

John, on the Netgear v. Linksys question:

A couple months ago, I had problems installng a variety of Linksys 11b stuff (a wireless router, a wireless base station and USB ethernet adapters).

It just didn't have any range. It even refused to pass through open doorways. Total range was something like 20 feet. I figured the house was the problem (originally an old farm house, it had a lot of block walls).

Then I tried a Netgear setup without much optimism. Not only does it work, it has amazing coverage at fast speeds. I know a lot of people use Linksys stuff with no problems, so I really can't account for the difference.

As an aside, I also installed three Linksys powerline ethernet bridges in the same house. These work marvelously.

-j

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I use Linksys and have for a while, but I know Netgear has a good reputation and either should be fine. I just wouldn't mix brands...

13. JohnTKline

I went and got the linksys 11b router and usb last night, so I'll hook it up today hopefully. I still need a bridge but they were out of stock...

John

14. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

So where can u get the Linksys WET11 cheaper? Buy.com list it for $105...any place else cheaper?

15. JohnTKline

I just wanted everyone to know I went with the linksys wireless router with the 4 point switch. I also bought the smaller usb12 for the client computer. That little thing was worth hunting down for alone.
    Anyway it's great to have it hooked up to play some 1v1 on quake 3 at the house, now if I can find a bridge at a good price I'll have wireless xbox. thanks for the suggestions here!

John

16. Stephen.N

Stephen.N Auditioning

I use the Linksys BEFW11S4 and WET11 without any problem. My WET11 is connected to a Linksys hub to which my PS2 and XBOX are both connected.

Steve

17. JohnTKline

Stephen.N:
    Hey, how does that wet11 work? I want to be able to hook up two xbox's up at the house for 1 on 1 play. I only have satellite connection so internet is out of the question for now.But I would like to hook up two xbox's wirelessly. One is close enough to the router where I could run cable from, but the other needs to be wireless. I do have an extra 4 port hub in the closet.
    How about 2 ps2's and 2 xbox's? Do I need more than one wet11 bridge?

John