What's new

Should I go with wireless linksys or netgear? (1 Viewer)

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure which of these brands to get, but I have read some reviews about linksys wireless that has me a little nervous. Also, linksys has 2 different usb adapters, one is more compact, which I guess are just cosmetic in size. And now they have this wireless-g version which supports 54mps or something.
So I don't know if I should just get the 11mps router and say that's good enough or spend the extra for the newer router? Any positive reviews of linksys here? This is what I planned on getting:
Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless access point router
Linksys WUSB11 wireless usb adapter or the compact version
Linksys wet11 bridge

Raildog

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
John, I recently upgraded to a Linksys wireless setup using the BEFW11S4 and the WET11 - so far so good! I have no complaints. *knocks on wood* I have all of my consoles connected to a Netgear switcher which is in turn connected to the WET11.

What are the reviews saying that are making you nervous? Poor quality? Frequent drops? Hard to setup?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I've got the BEFW11S4 and the wireless PCI adapter. I was too cheap to spring for the wireless bridge but I don't regret it at all. Everythign works perfectly on both ends (well not on the end controlling the controller but i don't think i can blame that on anyone but me).

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Go with 802.11g. 802.11b is pretty slow. It will still work, but not as well.

-Dave

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't 802.11b's speed well outstrip broadband's bandwidth?
I thought so as well. Maybe I'm missing something but my cable ISP maxes out at 1.5mbps so what would it matter if I had an 11mbps router vs a 55mbps version? Someone please educate me.:frowning:

Jason Price

Second Unit
Doesn't 802.11b's speed well outstrip broadband's bandwidth?
Yes, it does (well, 99.9% of consumer-grade broadband). 802.11b is spec'd at 11Mbps, but in reality, you won't get close to those speeds - 4-5Mbps is a much more realistic maximum. If all you're concerned about is internet connectivity, then 802.11b will be plenty of bandwidth for you. The only real noticeable differences between 802.11b and 802.11g will be for internal traffic. The importance of the speed differences there is purely a matter of personal preference...

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
well if he's just got an xbox and a pc connected there would be no point of going to .11g
That's all I have for now, but with .11g right here and linksys is supposed to come out with usb 2.0 devices down the road to take advantage of the 54mps, I wondered if it would be overkill for my current gear. Two computers,xbox, ps2, and maybe a laptop down the road.Hmmmmm....

John

Jason Price

Second Unit
That's all I have for now, but with .11g right here and linksys is supposed to come out with usb 2.0 devices down the road to take advantage of the 54mps, I wondered if it would be overkill for my current gear. Two computers,xbox, ps2, and maybe a laptop down the road.Hmmmmm....
No such thing as overkill when it comes to bandwidth. :) Even with 2 computers, an xbox, a ps2, and a laptop, you won't ever *need* 802.11g. It all depends on how frequently you transfer large files between computers on your LAN, and how patient you are waiting for those to finish...

JayV

Supporting Actor
John, on the Netgear v. Linksys question:

A couple months ago, I had problems installng a variety of Linksys 11b stuff (a wireless router, a wireless base station and USB ethernet adapters).

It just didn't have any range. It even refused to pass through open doorways. Total range was something like 20 feet. I figured the house was the problem (originally an old farm house, it had a lot of block walls).

Then I tried a Netgear setup without much optimism. Not only does it work, it has amazing coverage at fast speeds. I know a lot of people use Linksys stuff with no problems, so I really can't account for the difference.

As an aside, I also installed three Linksys powerline ethernet bridges in the same house. These work marvelously.

-j

Andre F

Screenwriter
I use Linksys and have for a while, but I know Netgear has a good reputation and either should be fine. I just wouldn't mix brands...

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I went and got the linksys 11b router and usb last night, so I'll hook it up today hopefully. I still need a bridge but they were out of stock...

John

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted everyone to know I went with the linksys wireless router with the 4 point switch. I also bought the smaller usb12 for the client computer. That little thing was worth hunting down for alone.
Anyway it's great to have it hooked up to play some 1v1 on quake 3 at the house, now if I can find a bridge at a good price I'll have wireless xbox. thanks for the suggestions here!

John

Stephen.N

Auditioning
I use the Linksys BEFW11S4 and WET11 without any problem. My WET11 is connected to a Linksys hub to which my PS2 and XBOX are both connected.

Steve

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen.N:
Hey, how does that wet11 work? I want to be able to hook up two xbox's up at the house for 1 on 1 play. I only have satellite connection so internet is out of the question for now.But I would like to hook up two xbox's wirelessly. One is close enough to the router where I could run cable from, but the other needs to be wireless. I do have an extra 4 port hub in the closet.
How about 2 ps2's and 2 xbox's? Do I need more than one wet11 bridge?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks