What's new

Should i buy a DVD player or ... [read] (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I want to get the best picture with my VPH 1030Q1, and i am vacillating between a DVD player (probably not progressive, with my budget), and an external DVD drive for my CD-equipped ye olde IBM Thinkpad i Series.

Which one would give a better picture? Any other advantages for one option??

Thanks,

-Mark

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The stand-alone player will virtually ALWAYS give better performance than a laptop

Now with an actual HTPC, then things are debateably

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Optimization notwithstanding, I think you can achieve about the same image quality whether you have a dedicated dvd player or a dvd-rom drive provided that you also have a video card capable of hardware decoding, or an mpeg decoder card such as Sigma Designs' Hollywood Plus (which also enables you to connect your digital video and audio outputs to your tv and receiver).

Depending on your system, software decoding generally has trouble keeping any broad motion (such as sweeping camera pans of landscapes or large space stations) smooth. Sometimes, even lip-synch would be off. I've tried both software and hardware decoding, of course, hardware decoding is preferred.

Advantages with a dvd-rom, you never have to worry about missing out on special features such as 'read the script while you watch', archived Web sites (for viewing from the disc), and other goodies (such as the ReVoice system on the Shrek DVD: it's a hoot!).

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Other advantages with a DVD-ROM:

Layer changes are nonexistant.

And the advantage of an HTPC is SCALING.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Yes please explain how ANY stand alone DVD player can top an HTPC?
Panasonic RP-91

Never spend 80 hours a month on filter issues. Perfect picture and non-anamorphic scaling automatically.

Plus:

DVD-Audio, MP3,

DVD-RAM and DVD-R compatibility

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks