What's new

should i bother with prog. scan dvd player? (1 Viewer)

paul e.

Agent
i own a sony kp57hw40 and i've been using my ps2 as my dvd player, well last night it started acting up and did the same thing tonight (skipping and locking up) so this weekend i will be purchasing a dvd player. should i spend the money for prog. scan or not? some say the drc on the sony is almost as good as prog. scan. also if anyone has any suggestions on a mid price dvd player i'd apreciate the input. (i'll be shopping at c.c.) thanks, paul. oh yeah, also i have an x-box, would this make a decent dvd player or no?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Paul,
The XBox should work at least as well as the PS-2 did.

If you're still going to buy a dvd player, I see no reason not to go ahead and get a progressive scan model as you can find decent ones by Panasonic, JVC, and Sony for around $200.

The HW40 does do a very good job with an interlaced player, and for folks who already own a good interlaced player there's no need to rush out and replace it with a progressive scan model. But if you're buying your first dedicated dvd player you might as well get a progressive scan model.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Absolutely essential to get an outstanding image. the PS2 and Xbox are POS when it comes to DVD play back esp at your image size.

There is no reason NOT TO GET a ps player. I was at Sams Club today. They have SEVERAL units there for only $99. And to think that only 2 years ago we were spending 600 plus for one!

FWIW,

Gregg

paul e.

Agent
o.k. i'm going to buy a new player. is there any brand to avoid?, and do i need to to look for anything other than prog. scan and component out (i also would like optical out.) i'll have a budget between 100-200.00 dollars. man i thought after shopping for a t.v. and receiver and speakers and cables and ect. ect. i thought i was done, but i guess like any other obsession you're never really "done".

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
My personal pick would be Panasonic's entry level progressive scan model. If not, Sony's entry level pro-scan has gotten some good reviews.
Check www.ecoustics.com for reviews from magazines on dvd players.
good luck.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Paul Sounds like me. I have really good equipment but skimped out on the DVD player. I'm had my PSX2 for years and no problems. Lately my PSX2 is skipping and locking up so it is less irritating knowing someone else is experiencing this problem. During climatic moments halfway through or the layer flip this happens. When listening to CD's it hiccups around track 10-11. Oh well at least the games still work. Time for another investment.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Paul E

I would second the suggestion of Panasonic's entry level Progressive Scan. Both it and the high end Progessive Scan have been a favorite with many Home Theater enthusiasts. They do NOT have the chroma bug, produce a great image, and have ranked very high in most of the reviews. I would give you a model number, but they are in that period of transition, and I cannot recall the number on the new player. The last year's model (which can be had for a steal, right now, if you find it), I think, was the RP-56. A great buy for the $.

-Bruce

Jeff James

Agent
Most of the RPTV's today have a progressive scan converter built into them...you may see a setting on your TV that says something along the lines of "Film" vs. "Video." That's the conversion as far as I know. I, myself, cannot even tell the difference between interlaced and progressive mode on my Mitsu 55807 but that may be cause when I shut the Pro scan off on the DVD player that the TV kicks in its own pro scan conversion. I mean, I've compared the two modes soooo many times and I just don't see one damn bit of difference in quality...the picture looks excellent and the same in both modes as far as the DVD player goes. This, most likely, varies from TV to TV though. The Mitsu has a pretty good line doubler in it for added clarity.

-J

paul e.

Agent
another dumb ?, my t.v. has a drc mode that's supposed to be 3:2 pull down, if my t.v. has it does my dvd player need it too? and if so does the entry level panny have it? thanks so much for all the help guys.

paul e.

Agent
o.k. i think i'm going to get the panny dvdrp62, circuit city has it and it looks like it has everything i need. i'll let y'all know what i think saturday.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
my t.v. has a drc mode that's supposed to be 3:2 pull down, if my t.v. has it does my dvd player need it too?
When you use a progressive scan DVD player and output a progressive signal, the DRC on your Sony TV is bypassed (it grays out and is inactive). If you run the interlaced signal from the DVD player, the DRC is still active, in which case you would set it to Cinemotion (3/2 pulldown). The Panasonics are supposed to be very good. I use the Toshiba SD-5700 with my 43" Sony HDTV, and I am very happy with it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks