What's new

Should DVD's or VHS movies with the World Trade Center be pulled from the market? (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt we'll hear from many people around here who'd opt to see the WTC censored out of past films - it's a ridiculous notion. Granted, when my wife & I watched "Men in Black" yesterday, the multiple background appearances of the buildings was distracting, but they should certainly stay in future releases of the film. Removing them from in-production films makes sense, but I do hope the WTC "Spider-Man" trailer is not lost for the ages.
JiM T

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
My wife and I were watching SOMETHING WILD tonight, and right off the bat I heard her say "oh no". It took me a while to fixate on the WTC towers she was looking at in the background of the opening shot.
Should a great movie like Something Wild be forever removed or altered because the filmmakers captured a building on film that no longer is there?
Um, no.

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent thread guys.
I agree with the most people here that the WTC should be left in all the movies it appears in for the reasons outlined very eloquently by those before me on this thread.
Don

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I hope your not saying that the Twin Towers should be brushed out in these movies. That would be just like saying 1984 should be rewritten.
Hell no. The thought of doing so is ridiculous. I was just wondering if there were any movies set in a post 9-11-2001 future that feature the WTC. For me, that would ruin the credibility for the future setting and make it harder to believe the proposed timeframe.
Once again, deleting the twin towers from any film would be silly.
patriot.gif

------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I think that any films taking place in the future (like A.I.) should retain the WTC simply because we all expect it to be rebuilt, so therefore it should be there in the future. And, to me, it's a statement of hope: We believe that these will be rebuilt. Those assholes knocked them down, but they will be rebuilt.
Plus, the guy who heads the group that has the lease on the towers (they just picked it up this summer) has said that he wants to rebuild, but his first priority is to deal with everything that's going on now. Then they can decide what to do and how to do it.
As far as I'm concerned, they should rebuild and include a memorial there.
And, getting back to the topic at hand, there's no way that any film showing the WTC should be pulled off the shelves. I mean, I can understand a network not wanting to show, say, the DeLaurentis King Kong remake right now, but at some point down the line we should be able to see that film, even if it is mediocre.
BTW, has anyone heard that, if plans for Jackie Chan's next film had gone according to schedule, he would have been on top of the towers when the attacks happened? There were so many close calls last week, so many what if's.
- Brad

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
No, these films should not be altered in any way.
The World Trade Center figures heavily in John Carpenter's Escape From New York. If you took it out, you'd pretty much have to ban the film. Plissken lands and has to take off from the top of it in order to not be seen by the enemy. Taking it out would create major problems for the film.
Of course, aside from my own John Carpenter bias, censorship is simply wrong, PERIOD. You can't act like The World Trade Center didn't exist.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that any form of video entertainment should be pulled privately (video releases) concerning the WTC. But, I do however don't think that AT THIS TIME Americans should see anything publicly in theaters concerning the WTC. I believe that the pain is too fresh right now. I have to say that we should rebuild the WTC, however maybe not the scale at what is was before its demise. I think that it would constitute the fact that the terrorists have won by demising an all-American icon. Every time I travel there I get an overwhelming feeling of joy when I see the WTC. Unfortunately, that will never be the case for me the next time that I visit there. For me personally, I feel like New York is my second home. And I feel like someone violated my home!
We need not just to remember all of who lost their lives in this past event; we should treasure their spirit. Especially, when you see that we all got together and helped one another, regardless of religious beliefs, or skin color. It was just simply helping a fellow human being. I think that this event has brought out the best of American citizens, and for that reason alone I am very proud of being an American.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Rob T

Screenwriter
I could somewhat understand future movies taking the WTC out, but not movies from the past.
future movies and ones from the past that feature the pantagon should be left alone
the same goes for the ones that have terrorism in them.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
ABSOLUTELY not! That is absoltuely crazy. I dont think they should even be edditing future movies. They should stay in the films as a remembrance of what they stood for. Not for horror and death but as an American icon. Are we supposed to alter are American lifestyle, history and heritage just because of the acts of a bunch of cowards? I dont think so. Another thing I dont understand is, I have heard people mention that maybe Hollywood should stop making violent action popcorn flicks for awhile. Are you crazy? I love action movies and I'm sure most of you this forum do too. That is what makes America a great place to live, is to beable to have the choice of watching and listening to what you want. If you dont want to see an action movie, dont see it. At least you have that choice. People are so quick to cancel shows and movies with th WTC in it but yet the media shows the horror of the real thing of people falling from the buildings, the planes crashing into the WTC 24/7. To me that is a hell of alot more disturbing than watching Spiderman spin a web of bad guys in between the WTC or watching Arnold take out some terrorist.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.