Should DVD's or VHS movies with the World Trade Center be pulled from the market?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Kalon, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

Should DVDD's or tapes with the World Trade Center or the Pentagon be removed from the market?
    Or any movie on DVD or tape with a terrorist theme be pulled also?
    While I understand that in a way these buildings bring back the horror and the sadness of recent events, they should not be pulled from the market.
    For these buildings were there when these movies were filmed, and are now a part of history.
    Neither should these films be altered in any way to digitally remove these buildings are delete scenes where they appear.
    If the planes hit the U.S. Capital, the White House, the U.N. or the Statue of Liberty, would we also consider pulling or changing films with these buildings in them. I don't think so.
    These films on DVD or tape should not be altered to try to censor people from the truth or remind them of the truth. They should be left in the films as a tribute and in memory of all the victims.
    Now regarding films on DVD or tape that feature terrorist themes, maybe these should be pulled from the market for a short period of time. But should not be pulled for ever, because that is what these films are about and again is trying to shield people from the truth.
    Just my thoughts on this matter.

2. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

I don't think already released tapes or DVDs with terrorist themes should pulled at all. If you don't want to watch those films right now then don't buy or rent them.

3. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I DON'T.
    It is stupid, I am sick of terrorists wrecking our lives and now they want to wreck out entertainment too ???
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003344.html

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Absolutely not.

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

You remove any reference to it from everything and soon it'd be like it, and the people who worked there, never even existed, and what kind of justice would that be?
    I can understand being cautious at this moment in time, I can perhaps accept alterations to TV shows airing at this moment in time but would not like them to remain edited for the rest of eternity.
    I can accept shots of the WTC being removed from future movies (Spiderman..etc), but it should not be considered right to return to past releases and edit future TV screenings and movie releases without any intention to change them back eventually.
    I don't want to see the WTC removed from something like the DVD of A.I, I don't ever want to be denied a DVD of the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to New York to get his car back, an episode with numerous WTC gags in...
    On the subject of terrorist related movies, I think in future Hollywood should be more cautious of how they deal with acts of domestic violence, I see such caution as a good thing, this may move them forward into thinking explosions left and right are really going to get them nowhere, they may look to more intelligent material. Movies of the past, are just that, in the past... Leave them as is.
    Dan (UK)

6. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

7. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, and lets ban all the books that have any dangerous ideas in them too! Yeeeeaaaaah censorship [​IMG]

8. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

As touched, saddened, outraged, shocked, whatever we felt about the awful attacks, not everyone personally lost a friend, relative, loved one, etc. But to those who have, and may in the next few weeks try to start piecing their lives back together, seeing, perhaps, the Spiderman Teaser, with the WTC such a prominent image, would just be a terrible reminder.
    I don't believe in altering or editing films permanently. But for the next few months I can see why trailers, films, album covers, etc. are being scrutinized for sensitivities' sake.
    I don't think the terrorists have won because I won't be able to see the Spiderman teaser at the movies or on TV for awhile.
    ------------------
    "Wow, what a dramatic airport!"

9. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Yeah, you may as well ban the phrase "World Trade Center" from our language while you're at it.
    I'm so sick of political correctness treating us like we are all a bunch of quivering, Jell-O mold sissies. Stop it already. We much tougher than this.
    I don't ever want to forget this time in history. I sat and watched Armageddon a few days ago and I had tears in my eyes when I saw New York (and the WTC) burning amongst rubble. This is exactly the way it should be. We should never forget who our enemies are and what they can do to us. We need to keep our guard up or risk losing everything that makes us great.

10. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I certainly don't have a problem with television networks and movie studios showing some sensitivity over the recent events. However, I definitely wouldn't want to see any long-term censorship - that would be going too far.
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
    [Edited last by SteveGon on September 20, 2001 at 09:40 AM]

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Funny you should ask this ...
    My wife and I popped-in our new Crocodile Dundee disc last night, and the very first scene, shockingly, was of the WTC.
    While this floored us, we decided that we just needed to realize that this is the way it's going to be from now on.
    For almost thirty years these buildings were landmarks of the city of New York and this country. Almost any movie that used New York as a backdrop during that period will feature the WTC.
    I don't think that these movies should be censored in any way, form, or fashion. We need to remember the pain and suffering and realize that we can never, ever, afford to be complacent again.
    Our favorite movies from the past thirty years will provide constant reminders of this sobering fact.
    Joseph
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Joseph Bolus on September 21, 2001 at 05:45 PM]

13. G Miller

G Miller Stunt Coordinator

"Lest we forget"
    Taking the image of the WTC out of films, in my opinion is a sign of trying to forget they were there, or trying not to remember them... which I think is disrespectful to those who suffered through this tragedy. For example, if a relative dies, you don't take down all the photo's you have of them in your house to try and forget...
    ------------------
    I hate living in R4........
    • More Expensive HT equiptment
    • DVD titles released 12 months after R1

14. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Yes, I, for one, say, please leave the dearly departed twin towers be as they are in films released and presented before 9-11-2001.
    Yes, I watched The Siege as I was home sick from work yesterday, the enhanced widescreen edition with both Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks available. (I went with DTS, of course!)
    Yes, seeing the WTC towers, given their immense stature over the glistering New York skyline always did standout, obivously since they were, after all, New York's tallest buildings. But now, in lieu of all that has happened, I guess in seeing the towers, I, for one, cannot help but notice them now in ways unprecendented.
    I also noticed them conspicuously on the Men In Black DVD cover.
    IF this is a sign of things to come for me, then, yes, I suppose I will, along with many others in and out of the HTF, I'm sure, in the time to follow (at least) shall always look at movies depicting the WTC and cannot help but notice.
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

15. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

No.

16. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Are there any movies set in the future (post 2001) that feature the twin towers?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The HTF Lowest Post Champion!
    [Edited last by Cameron Seaman on September 20, 2001 at 11:01 PM]

17. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

No!
    Should we also remove movies such as "Cast Away" and "Fearless" because they contain horrific plane crashes? I'm certainly not trying to be insensitive, but we can't pretend that life is always great and bad things never happen. And that people don't do evil things. And by blocking out these unpleasant memories are we merely presenting a perfect world that doesn't really exist? Is cinema supposed to represent life or some idealistic form of life? (I feel it's the former, but feel free to disagree.)
    (And on a different/similar note, why can't Disney release "Song Of The South"? Because they want to whitewash the past and present themselves/ourselves as perfect beings. They want us to believe that people don't make mistakes and aren't mature enough to recognize their mistakes.)
    I'm always fearful of people who want to obscure the truth. Because when you take away the truth what are you left with? Living a life that is a lie.

18. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

19. EricR

EricR Auditioning

No and i also dont agree with what microsoft did with flight sim 2002
    [Edited last by EricR on September 21, 2001 at 05:41 AM]

20. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts: what's better? Seeing Spiderman take down dastardly criminals using a proud, AMerican landmark, or never being able to see the WTC again unless it's in the over-used footage of the destruction, wherein hundreds of people instantly lost their lives on camera?
    All this censoring is basically disgracing the deaths by compromising art, one of the great freedoms we as Americans should hold dear. To me, it seems virulently anti-American to cut and manipulate images of the WTC or stop playing certain songs on the radio or stop making certain movies, etc..
    It also belittles our strength as people to cheapen our lifestyle taht way. Of course, the imminent response is "You wouldn't say that if you knew people who died there." Well, I did know people, and I also knew they weren't fans of this kind of political cleansing. I mean, my brother died of alcholism, does this mean I have a right to demand that alcohol be not ever presented in films again because it hurts me to see alcholics on TV? The logic escapes me.