What's new

Shogun mini series (1 Viewer)

Stephen B

Stunt Coordinator
my flatmate recently aquired the video box set off ebay, but ive never seen it on dvd, does anyone know if its available?
steve
------------------
I'm Gonna Cook Ya, Then Fu*ken Eat Ya.

Martin G

Second Unit
Unfortunately they are not available on DVD. From what I have heard there are no plans in the future to release it on dvd either. Something about the cost of restoration being to prohibitive.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Correct. We are talking in the million+ range to restore it. They may just do a digital restoration, but that means the negative will continue to deteriorate.
icon13.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Stephen B

Stunt Coordinator
but surly such a fantastic mini series is worth it, you see all this crap getting green lit ( dude wheres my car ) when they could pump a few million into saving a master piece.
tell me I'm not alone in this thought
steve

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You're definitely not alone!!!
This topic has come up before- does anyone know which studio has the video rights these days? I think this is definitely the sort of title which could put up some decent sales numbers. Perhaps we should start a thread in the Studio Feedback section?
I remember it was my first Japanese lesson! (But not my last.
wink.gif
)

Stephen B

Stunt Coordinator
lets all band together, and get this thing released, I want to see a man being pissed on in anamorphic glory.
would a thread in the studio section help?
steve
------------------
I'm Gonna Cook Ya, Then I'm gonna Fu*ken Eat Ya.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
How do you "look up" who owns the rights to a movie? Is it listed in the IMDB? If someone can confirm who has the rights, add my name to the list.
Why have the major networks moved away from the miniseries? Is it strictly a cost issue?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I'm working my way through some greeeaaatt TV (Prisoner, Twin Peaks season 1 is on order) and would love to relive Shogun. The complete miniseries (12 hours) is still out there on VHS but has never dropped in price, it's like $250. A truncated 2 hour version was also released on VHS (From 12 to 2 hours
eek.gif
). One local rental house has it complete on VHS, but VHS is
icon13.gif
Where did Shogun show up on the Paramount poll that Martin Blythe initiated??
Just curious, but how much did your flatmate shell out for it??
I also have the uncut version of Masada (with Peter O'Toole) on VHS and would like to replace it with DVD. I'd also like to see an uncut version of Frankenstein : the true story.
Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner
[Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on October 08, 2001 at 06:42 PM]
[Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on October 08, 2001 at 06:43 PM]
[Edited last by Jeff Swindoll on October 08, 2001 at 06:44 PM]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
The only good thing about the truncated 2 hours version is Yoko Shimada's naked body
blush.gif
seen because of the R rating.
I have the entire series on SVHS in 6 hour speed. I watch it once a year. The VHS collection, at $250, is overpriced by about $200.
angry.gif

------------------

Stephen B

Stunt Coordinator
my flat mate paid around 180 australian for it i think. nice box set, but as someone pointed out..... its on vhs
steve
------------------
I'm Gonna Cook Ya, Then I'm gonna Fu*ken Eat Ya.

Terry H

Second Unit
Correct. We are talking in the million+ range to restore it. They may just do a digital restoration, but that means the negative will continue to deteriorate.

So what? As I understand it, saving the original film elements is only important because digital work would only look good up to a certain size screen (I don't recall any specific size mentioned so suppose the exact size is in the eye of the beholder). This was made for television broadcast and AFAIK was never shown in theatres. Therefore deterioration of the image due to screen size is not a concern and digital restoration would seem to be the perfect solution.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I disagree. It was shot in 35mm and should be preserved in that form. A DIGITAL restoration like the one mentioned would not be at HDTV resolution. It would be at NTSC resolution and that would be a terrible mistake.
------------------

Terry H

Second Unit
I disagree. It was shot in 35mm and should be preserved in that form. A DIGITAL restoration like the one mentioned would not be at HDTV resolution. It would be at NTSC resolution and that would be a terrible mistake.
I understand your concerns but better that that than nothing at all. It can cost several million to do a film restoration of a two hour movie. Cost for a 12 hour mini-series? Likely tens of millions. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. I assume the cost for a digital restoration at a lower resolution would be much less and far more likely. I strongly suspect it is the only way we will ever see Shogun again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks