What's new

Centennial 1978/1979 Mini series with Richard Chamberlain Where is the DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
I have it on VHS and would love to get it on dvd as well. It is a great story up to the last chapter

"Dis man is my brudder":D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hiya, Oscar...long time no talk!

Centennial is on Universal's minds for DVD release. It was included in the collage at the back of the so-called "Uni-Book" that I wrote up news about last May. Look at the bottom right:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
very cool indeed David

Any idea when this could be released ?

Just finished watching the entire shogun dvd which looks and sounds phenomenal.

the documentray was awesome as both RC & JRD were interviewed. I thought that JRD outperformed RC in nearly every scene. Just shows how good RC's Hawthorne performance was.

The selected audio commentary was okay yet listening to this was like wanting to hear the full audio commentary that will never be.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I own this on VHS as well... the only place I could find it was Suncoast Video, and judging by the thickness of the dust on the box in the store I don't think it sold very well. Something tells me this is unlikely to come to DVD.

The first six episodes (up through the cattle drive) were outstanding, but the last six lost me. Plus there was some really bad old-person makeup, especially William Atherton as Jim Lloyd.

But what a great cast ... aside from Richard Chamberlain and Robert Conrad, my favorites were Christina Raines as Lucinda, a young Stephanie Zimbalist as Elly, A Martinez as Tranquilino (his storyline was one of the few highlights of the second half for me), Richard Crenna as Frank Skimmerhorn, Cliff de Young as John Skimmerhorn, Stephen McHattie as Jake, Donald Pleasance as Sam Purchase, Alex Karras in the best role of his career (with the possible exception of Mongo) as Hans Brumbaugh, Glynn Turman as Nate Person and of course Dennis Weaver as R.J. Poteet.

I could have done without Chad Everett as Max Mercy (apparently no relation to Robert Duvall's character in "The Natural"), Robert Vaughn as Morgan Wendell, Doug McKeon as Philip ... but hey, it was the '70s.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi Casey

I have to agree with you that the first part as you described is outstanding, lost interest by the time of episode 10

:D

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember correctly, they were filming this while showing it on television (a blizzard or something came up and messed up the shooting time) but they were falling behind. That is the reason why the first half is good and the last half is half-assed.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'd certainly buy Centennial on DVD if it was released. I haven't seen it in almost 25 years and I'd love to see it again. My 5th grade teacher showed our class several episodes of this mini-series and I remember a lot of it to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks