shiva sonotube with PR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eric nyhof, Mar 23, 2002.

1. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anybody has build a sonotube with a shiva and the 15" passive radiator from adire. I was thinking about possibly making one and having the PR top firing. I'm not sure about what size yet, but maybe around 4-5 ft^3 which with an 18" tube would be aorund 28-35 inches tall. I would probably use a PE plate amp with 250 watts. Would there be any advantages to using a PR our would I be better of just porting the tube.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You can't use a PR up or downfiring (just to much moving mass). The only way you could use a PR in a sonotube is if you layed the tube on it's side.

3. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the advise

If i do build a sonosub looks like i'll have to port it

4. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

That design is pretty close to what I did, but i went a little further. I cut the same octagon shape on the back, and took 8 flat pieces to make 8 sides that ran from the front octagon end cap to the back octagon end cap. Then filled the space between the sonotube and those 8 sides with expanding foam. Made a very dead enclosure that was still fairly light. then if you want, put a larger piece on the bottom as a base, and a larger piece on the top to make it into sort of an end table. Just don't put anything breakable on it. That single 15" PR on the back can rock the enclosure quite a bit.

John

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jack

Interesting link, but people shouldn't follow the guy's lead when he put sidewall bracing inside the tube.

As we all know the function of the cylinder is to equally spread the pressure inside the cylinder. Placing internal braces changes that situation because it creates areas of higher and lower pressure.

John J's solution is a much better approach when there is a need to use the sub as a shelf.

People wanting a less complicated solution can simply span the distance between oversized endcaps with a stiffened board that doesn't come into contact with the tube