What's new

shiva sonotube with PR (1 Viewer)

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anybody has build a sonotube with a shiva and the 15" passive radiator from adire. I was thinking about possibly making one and having the PR top firing. I'm not sure about what size yet, but maybe around 4-5 ft^3 which with an 18" tube would be aorund 28-35 inches tall. I would probably use a PE plate amp with 250 watts. Would there be any advantages to using a PR our would I be better of just porting the tube.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You can't use a PR up or downfiring (just to much moving mass). The only way you could use a PR in a sonotube is if you layed the tube on it's side.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
That design is pretty close to what I did, but i went a little further. I cut the same octagon shape on the back, and took 8 flat pieces to make 8 sides that ran from the front octagon end cap to the back octagon end cap. Then filled the space between the sonotube and those 8 sides with expanding foam. Made a very dead enclosure that was still fairly light. then if you want, put a larger piece on the bottom as a base, and a larger piece on the top to make it into sort of an end table. Just don't put anything breakable on it. That single 15" PR on the back can rock the enclosure quite a bit.

John

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack

Interesting link, but people shouldn't follow the guy's lead when he put sidewall bracing inside the tube.

As we all know the function of the cylinder is to equally spread the pressure inside the cylinder. Placing internal braces changes that situation because it creates areas of higher and lower pressure.

John J's solution is a much better approach when there is a need to use the sub as a shelf.

People wanting a less complicated solution can simply span the distance between oversized endcaps with a stiffened board that doesn't come into contact with the tube

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point, Thomas. I've always considered such bracing as is pictured to be superfluous, but hadn't thought of it as actually being detrimental.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks