Shiva or Tempest for music only.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin Ward, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I plan on building another sub for music only. I will evantually be pairing these up with some DIY monitors or Studio 20s.

I am having some trouble deciding on the driver and alignment. I am only considering sealed this time.

I have it narrowed down to a Shiva or a Tempest. Which sounds better for music only? Is the 12" Shiva faster/more musical or are they essentially the same except for the Tempest having the output advantage? If the Tempest can be just as musical at normal levels I will probably just spend the extra few $$ so I can have that little extra output and evantually use it in an IB with my other Tempest.

I am also having trouble deciding on the alignment. I know a low Q will be the tightest and most accurate, but I am worried about a loss of punch in rock/hip hop recordings. Should I be concerned?

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

How about a Shiva TL? I built mine using a 72" long piece of 14" Sonotube. It works great for music but some people don't like the idea of something tall and round in their room. Small footprint though.

3. Justin Ward

4. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I think your intended crossover level should come into play. If you going low like 50, the tempest is better. If the sub will be playing as high as 100, its possible that the shiva will be a little more nimble up there.

7. Justin Ward

I want to crossover at around 70hz or so. I find the current lowest setting my receiver allows(100hz) can be localizible at times.

What exactly makes the DPL12 superior to the Shiva for my criteria? And what exactly makes a driver "dipole"?

Although it is for music I think I will probably play it for HT also, in addition to my SBB4 Tempest. Music is still #1 though.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. Justin Ward

It looks the DPL 12 sealed would be a great way to go. I should have bought the DPL a while ago, they had them on for the same price as Shivas at creativesound.ca. I wonder if they will do this again anytime soon.

Does the DPL work well downfiring? I'm not sure if I want to go downfiring or not. I think a sidefiring DPL 12 would look pretty stylish.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Should be ok downfiring, might want to e-mail Adire. Unless you really want to, I'd advise against it. It will decrease, albeit slightly, available Xmax and cause sag over time. No big deal but, if it's a coin toss...

11. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

Raw Drivers pumping away look cool as well![​IMG]

12. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

While the Shiva and Tempest can be EXTREMELY musical, since it is a music only subwoofer I'd go with the DPL12 as has already been suggested.
    Downfiring would be fine, but as Jack states you'll lose just a bit of Xmax but will probably never notice it.

As far as the DPL12's being on sale again? I have no idea at this time but I suppose it never hurts to ask Bob at CS.

13. Justin Ward

Thought I might as well resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one.

How much power would I need to drive the DPL 12? One one hand it is less efficient then the Tempest and on the other hand musical peaks aren't as intense at LFE peaks.

I still don't have a(good) amp for my Tempest. Should I just buy a pro-amp and run one sub off each channel?

14. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

I'm currently using a tempest for music in my apartment and let me tell you that it is quite musical. Everything from Bach and Vivaldi to Prodigy and Slayer...reproduction is as should be, footprint is not small though, around 3.8 cubes sealed

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

A good 150 watts should do the job.

16. Justin Ward

Any recommendations for a low cost amp that would drive both my DPL12 and ported Tempest?

17. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

18. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Ebay and look for a crown DC 300A series II or one, your choice, pulse you will own a piece of Audio History that will rock your socks off