Set of speakers for dedicated stereo listening.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Justin Ward, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I find my current setup excellent for 5.1 movies. However, I find that it generally is worse for music. My current setup is as follows:
    Paradigm v2 Titans
    v3 CC-170
    v3 Atoms
    Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver
    SBB4 Tempest

I have determined that this setup is awesome for HT but I think a few things are holding it back from being excellent for music. The Titans while an excellent budget speaker are slightly lacking in midrange clarity. The SBB4 tempest is really intended for HT only and the reciever is low-end. I don't really notice the weaknesses in the Titans or reciever unless I listen to music.

So basically, instead of overhauling my entire system, I was thinking about making a stereo only setup.

For speakers I was thinking I will probably build a set of slim tower speakers. Possibly with 2 or 3 6.5" woofers and a tweeter. I would compliment them with a sealed Shiva.

What are some good slim-tower designs to build. With the exception of crossovers, I feel pretty comfortable building everything else.

I want something that can sound lively and realistic but not too bright. High efficieny would be a big plus too.

I would like to spend less than $500 Canadian, but if this can't be done for that little, I may consider spending more.

2. You mention the reciever for HT. What electronics do you have for this dedicated music system?

3. Justin Ward

None yet[​IMG]
    I am still in the planning stage, I am just getting ideas and prices for now.

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I've always thought that planar transducers would be the best for music. Have you looked at any of those types of designs? Another design that looks very interesting are the open baffle types like Linkwitz' Phoenix and Orion. I seen some postings out on the 'net with designs and schematics by others. Looks cool. I'd like to give it shot sometime.

5. $500 CAD will no way cover planars and ESPECIALLY something like the phoenix and orion(lets not forget all that this is an active system==$$ in amps as well). ..well...might be able to pick up a used pair of MMG's for that price.

IMO $500 is just hard to work with if you have really high expectations. Are you looking for something that is pleasing to the ear?...or something that is brutally honest?

You can get some pretty good results with some well designed inexpesive kits. But to make the leap into what I consider high end DIY (true ribbon tweets ala raven/ESG, Seas Magnesiums, Scans Revolators, Hiquphon, Accuton etc)...takes you well above the $500CAD range.

6. TimForman

Oops...daydreaming again.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I think you'd be better off going with a good quality 2-way kit such as the GR Research A/V-1's. Since you're going to have sub I don't see much need in having dual or triple 6.5" woofers unless you're really wanting to listen at loud levels.

Dan Wesnor also has some nice designs on his website. Some of them look very interesting and should surely sound great.

8. TimForman

Home Theater speakers like MTM's tend to have a lot of hard hitting mid and low end since that's what we like in HT. For music it's better to have something more even handed. I think Brian's suggestion is probably the way to go.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I also failed to mention that the A/V-2, with it's dual 5.25" woofers, has very good dynamics as well. The new A/V-3's may be a good choice too but I'm not sure if that fits into your budget since I'm not totally sure of the conversion to Canadian dollars.

10. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I second the AV2s or AV3s. They are life-like and realistic without harsh highs.

11. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I just replaced my paradigm reference series with av2's. I think a single shielded kit showed up as $259 on my credit card. brokerage and taxes were about $80 so for a unshielded kit uour probably looking at $500-$600. You could probably build them for bout $750/pair total. That is with a finish of your choice. Creative sound solutions is going to offer the av kits in july.

12. Justin Ward

The quote of $500 was for the main speakers only. How far will $500 go in DIY speakers? Will they be superior to say Paradigm Studios(which I hear a lot of good things about.)?

I suggested the dual 6.5" because I was under the impression that you design a speaker that is 2.5 way, alowing better bass extension and cleaner midrange.

I want to cross these over to a sub fairly low. Maybe like 50-60hz. I find 80hz/100hz to be slightly localizable.

Would I be better off building a kit or could I stretch my budget a little further by just buying some drivers and designing crossovers for them?

For example, I can buy the 5 1/4" mid/woofers (in pairs)used in the GR kits for $31.25 Canadian at creativesound.ca.
    Wouldn't say, 4 of these in each speaker achieve a farily effortless and high efficieny design when combined with the right tweeter. I am also leaning towards a tower speaker over a bookshelf simply for the fact that you get better efficiency, no need for stands, more room for porting and MDF is so cheap that it won't increase the project cost too much.

13. Justin Ward

Apparently I can get a Neo 3 Planar-magnetic (ribbon) transducer for $79 each at creativesound.ca. They are high efficiency so wouldn't they make a good match to an array of mid/woofers?

So for a price rundown I could have:
    Neo 3 tweeters(2) $160
    5.25" mid/woofs(8) $125
    Crossover components ?
    MDF $30?
    Input panels $20
    Ports $30

$365 Total, I'm sure the actual cost will be a little higher, but would I be better off buying a kit instead of these separate components.

14. Stuart A.

Stuart A. Auditioning

plop in the box

gr woofers, and neo3's

whats the difference between the av2 / av3's? it looks like the av3 is using 5.25" drivers now, so is it just a different crossover for use with a larger cabinet?

15. Justin Ward

The big plop looks pretty promising. I have 2 questions:
    1) I don't have to buy the pre-assembled box right? As long as it has the same internal volume?

2) Will a single 5.25" woofer extend deep enough to blend well with a sub?

16. Justin Ward

Another idea. How could this sound for a speaker/sub combo?
    Slim tower with two chambers. One .375 cu ft chamber for the tweeter/midwoofer and the rest for a sealed Shiva. Since the towers are slim, the Shiva would be mounted on the side.

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Justin,

Unless you're capable of designing a crossover (not just going with what a simulation program spits out) you're better off going with a kit.

The A/V-2's have a nominal 4 ohm impedance while the A/V-3 have a nominal 8 ohm impedance. Also, the A/V-3 is a transmission line design while the A/V-2 is a standard, ported enclosure.

18. Justin Ward

Since I have a well functioning setup for now and am in no rush to upgrade I will proabably save up for the AV 3s. I can get the kit for $429 Canadian before tax and shipping. Probably about $600 by the time they are assembled. Apparently the F3 is around 45hz, does this mean they could be used without a subwoofer? I will still build a Shiva for them, but just wanted to check this anyway.

Now this is quite a few Dairy Queen paychecks away so I just wanted to verify that these speakers will be noticeably better than my current Titans.

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'd expect them to work fine without a sub. I haven't heard them yet, but my A/V-2's are fine without a sub except for large rooms or really bass heavy music.

I expect there to be a huge difference between them and the Titans.[​IMG]

20. Justin Ward

Here's a question I've been pondering:

Would I be better off with a nice DIY set of speakers or a high-end set of headphones with a dedicated amp?