What's new

Shipping a computer/home theater (1 Viewer)

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I am moving across the country and most of my belongings will be packed and shipped and stored until I can find a good place to live (in the meantime I will stay with some family). I would like to ship my computer and my home theater seperately so that I could use it before I get the rest of my posessions, but I am unsure as to the best way to have them shipped (ie. without damaging everything).

I have a moving allowance, but would prefer to have this done as cheaply as possible. Has anyone done this before?

I will be flying, so I have considered having the items shipped as extra cargo on the plane, is this asking for trouble?

Thanks so much for your input!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Rob,

The idea of sending your electronics as extra cargo on a plane sounds good in theory but in reality is a REALLY BAD idea, and for one reason alone. The airlines specifically say that in no way are they responsible for electronics of ANY kind. So if either you computer or HT was damaged in transit you would be SOL. The best bet would be for you to use UPS Ground to save money across the boarder or better yet USPS (If you have a location nearby) just make sure to insure your belongings and have them packed well. Heck have them professionally packed if you are really worried and make sure to get them double boxed if at all possible. Most carriers UPS, FedEx, USPS will not cover electronics if they are not double boxed. If you make a claim and they come out and they are not they will most likely turn you down. Best of luck on the move.

KyleS

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
My recommendation would be to take the stuff to a place like Mailboxes Etc. and have them pack and ship it. It can be pricey, but it'll be done right, and should anything happen, the insurance will pay for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks