What's new

Shielding of Speakers (1 Viewer)

Colin A

Auditioning
I would like to submit this Question again.
How can I tell if the speaker on top of my TV is correctly shielded?
I have a small shadow developing on the top left of the screen, but the speaker is in the top centre some 12 inches away. If I had a shielding problem, would the shadow appear directly below?
If this not the fault of the speaker, can anyone suggest a reason why this is developing? The TV is a Loewe 32" (CRT).

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Usually, depending on the size of the speaker, a foot away should be ok. You can tell your unshielded speakers are too near when the colors of your tv in that zone near the speaker become weird (greenish or something else other than the norm).

AndrewJ

Auditioning
Colin, not all shielding problems result in color changes on the tv screen. Mild ones can just cause darkening, as you have. The problem does not always manifest itself directly under the speaker, it depends on how well shielded the tv screen is. Try some experiments as follows:-
turn off the tv for 5minutes, then turn back on again, does the problem go away? Mild problems are often overcome by the self de-gaussing coil in the tv.
How close are your left and right speakers? Try moving them away and see if the darkening changes. If not remove the center channel and see if things improve.
Are there any substantial pieces of metal (steel) close to the tv? These can disrupt the ambient magntic fields around the tv and cause problems. After each adjustment, be sure to turn off the tv for 5 mins then turn back on again to reset the self de-gaussing.
Once you find the cause you will be closer to a solution. Happy hunting

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks