What's new

Sherbourn or Parasound with Studio 100's? (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
It seems to be that most people here feel the Parasound is a great match with the Studio 100's. I just recently became interested in the Sherbourn 5/1500a and now can't decide whether to purchase this amp, or the 2205a from Parasound.

My dealer spent a long time with me explaining why he feels the Sherbourn is a better mate (and I trust his opinion seeing as how the Parasound is a few hundred more). He said that he feels the Studio's are revealing speakers and that the Parasound can also be revealing. He said that the Sherbourn is a bit "warmer". Both are fantastic amps and I can't go wrong either way. It's been burned into my mind so many times about how great the Parasounds are mated with Paradigms that I can't shake it! help!!!!!!!

Larry B

Screenwriter
Mike:

You must listen to both amps, as only you can decide which one sounds better to your ears. Think of it this way: You've gone to a restaurant with two items on the menu, and you're asking someone else to decide which dish you'll prefer. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Larry

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could, but there are no local dealers around here that carry those brands. I'd have to order them and pay for them both and ship one of them back which would all be very expensive. I know they'd both sound great, I just need to gather some opinions and make a judgement call.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
They are both great amps. I can only speak for the Sherbourn which works very well with my revealing NHT's. I have also heard that particular Parasound amp is warmer than most other Parasound amps. It is a case of 6 one way, and half a dozen the other. $300 to $400 will buy you a lot of software however....:)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Mike,

You really can't go wrong with either amp, they are both excellent performers in that price range and I would have been happy with either one. But my personal preference was for the Sherbourn and that's the one I bought. I don't think the Sherbourn is 'warmer'than the Parasound but rather that it is more neutral. I also think it provides notably tighter bass, especially with music. Overall, I just felt that the Sherbourn was the more musical amp. When listening to HT soundtracks I couldn't really hear a difference. FTR, I was not able to audition these amps in the same system, so YMMV.

My speakers are Paradigm Monitor 90P mains, CC-350 and ADP-370 rears. I am using a Yamaha RX-V596 as a pre-pro, Panny RP-91 DVD-A and Carver SD/A-360 CD changer. The Sherbourn replaced the amps in the 596.

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

If you have a chance, give the Rotel 1095(200x5) a listen. I'm running it with B@W speakers and it sounds great on HT and music.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Well, I have an opposing view as I have owned both the sherbourn 5/1500 and now the parasound 2205, although both very nice amps I prefer the parasound 2205. I have nht speakers(2.9 towers up front) which are similar to paradigm in that they are revealing. In my opinion the parasound is warmer/smoother then the sherbourn was and also seemed more dynamic to me in my room with my system/ears.

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 5/1500A, and I am very happy with it.

IMHO for the money, you cant do better.

The salesmen that I spoke to said the Parasound would be too thin with the Paradigms, and he sells both.

I am just repeating what I was told, I know many Paradigm/Parasound owners who wouldnt trade the 2205 for anything.

Good Luck on your purchase, and as others have said in this thread, you really cant go wrong with any of the amps mentioned.

Enjoy your amp,

Fred

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I own the parasound 2205 along with the studio 100s it has a nice warm smooth sound to it although i have not heard the sherbourn so I can not comment on that amp, i did listen to the rotel 1095 nice in ht very detailed but to bright in music! just my opinion I think you would be very happy with the parasound I havent heard of anyone that is unhappy:D
Bob

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
Getting ready to pull the trigger, any last minute opinions?

I called around for pricing on the 2205 and found that no one will be re stocking the Parasound when they run out. Some have already run out of certain models. Parasound will not be producing them anymore because of the Halo line. What's worse, is people who still have the amp in stock really don't come down much more in price now that Parasound dropped the MSR by $500. The dealer discount was only $100 or so off the new MSR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks