What's new

Shelf material suggstions for mounting center channel... (1 Viewer)

Lanny M

Agent
I need to constuct a shelf for the top of my Sony 53HS30 to place my Paradigm Ref Center, as the top of this TV is only 6.25" deep. I want a material that won't warp over time; is oak a good choice for this, or would MDF or something else work better?

Thanks

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

I used 3/4 inch Oak (probably overkill) cut 28 inches wide and 24 inches deep. I attached (screwed and glued) two 1 inch wooden dowels cut to length in the back corners of the shelf and put rubber feet on the bottom of the dowels. The rubber feet are similar to something you would find on a standard cane. My center channel speaker is very large and very heavy...the shelf works great. If I get a new TV all I have to do is replace the dowels with ones that match the shape of my new TV.

Thanks,

Jeff

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I did something ver similar also!
I bought an inch thick piece of oak, cut to size. Primed and painted it to match my TV cabinet. I put some self adhesive felt pads on the corners so that it is supported by the vertical sides of the cabinet. Works like a charm, and I cant even make that thing sag by putting all my weight on it. A center channel is no match for it, and it looks good as well. Here is a picture:
Uy31979.jpg

Lanny M

Agent
Thanks guys! Oak it is....now it's off to the workshop...I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks