What's new

Shame on you Disney!!! (1 Viewer)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Never mind their own stuff. They shelled out $73 billion to buy over 100 years' worth of films from Fox, Twentieth Century and Twentieth Century-Fox and then buried them in a salt mine. They won't even license most of them to repertory theatres, let alone release them on disc. Explain that.
License them to another streaming service. See if FilmRise or the Roku Channel wants them.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
From what I recall, Mr. Bradbury was not very complimentary to the studio. That may be why it hasn't been heard since and why that "the views and interviews expressed here do not reflect the views of the studio" spiel is now a thing

Yes, it's true that Bradbury felt his material was not well-used for the movie, and he was somehow allowed to say so in the commentary. In many instances, I agree with his discontent. Adding the spiders to the Dust Witch sequence just made it look like many other 80's horror thrillers, as good as it might have been in another movie. I know Disney reworked some of the effects, but some of them still seem a bit sloppy. The climactic carousel sequence is far too rushed, and the sound mix is so bad you can't hear what the actors are shouting. An unusual complaint from me: the movie is too short! It needs more of a build-up, showing a more detailed reveal of the father-son relationship, and the ways in which the two boys "matured" at a somewhat different rate and began to grow apart.

Personally, though, I think about 75% of SWTWC is excellent. The actors are all fine. Special kudos to Jonathan Pryce, who is everything I imagined Mr. Dark to be as I read and re-read the novel years before the film's release. The sequence in the library is just about perfect. And the film has a genuinely creepy-yet-nostalgic atmosphere that few films achieve. Makes one wish that all aspects of the film had been given the same affection that director Jack Clayton (THE INNOCENTS, ROOM AT THE TOP) obviously tried to put into it.

I really look forward to this release.

If anyone is seeking the Bradbury commentary track, taken from the laser disc, please PM me.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Never mind their own stuff. They shelled out $73 billion to buy over 100 years' worth of films from Fox, Twentieth Century and Twentieth Century-Fox and then buried them in a salt mine. They won't even license most of them to repertory theatres, let alone release them on disc. Explain that.
Great example is Scrooge (1951) VCI lost the rights they had for decades when Disney bought FOX -- the film has aired on MOVIES! This past July for Christmas In July but Disney has no interest in releasing the film from 1951 and produced by another firm other than theirs yet they will not let VCI retain home vid rights that's what happens when a firm like Disney is too big for it's own good - thankfully their is still copies all over the net available although a great new restoration of the film was done by the BFI and is available in the UK. I got a copy and it looks great - wish VCI could release it here.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Great example is Scrooge (1951) VCI lost the rights they had for decades when Disney bought FOX -- the film has aired on MOVIES! This past July for Christmas In July but Disney has no interest in releasing the film from 1951 and produced by another firm other than theirs yet they will not let VCI retain home vid rights that's what happens when a firm like Disney is too big for it's own good - thankfully their is still copies all over the net available although a great new restoration of the film was done by the BFI and is available in the UK. I got a copy and it looks great - wish VCI could release it here.
Disney only owns the TV rights (at least in the U.S.). The film itself is owned by Renown Film Productions and if the video rights have lapsed, it's Renown's issue. Disney could release it on one of its streaming platforms but I think it's highly unlikely. Again, I say they should license them to another service.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I can understand that there isn't a huge audience for deep cuts from the Disney vault but there Is still an audience so I wish they'd start putting up more obscure stuff. Even if it was designed to be a "limited-time event" where they put certain things up only for a few months until they rotated to something else that is rare. Hopefully, more rarities are a long term plan of Disney +.

As for the Fox library, I wouldn't be surprised to see movies from that end up on Hulu in the U.S. so they can get more people to pay for that too.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Disney only owns the TV rights (at least in the U.S.). The film itself is owned by Renown Film Productions and if the video rights have lapsed, it's Renown's issue. Disney could release it on one of its streaming platforms but I think it's highly unlikely. Again, I say they should license them to another service.
Sadly I think there is no more Disney @ Disney...they do the least amount of work for the most amont of return for thier share holders.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I hear you, thanks for the BFI link, this is one of the reasons I bought a multi region bluray player, I can buy the titles I want without worring if it will play or not!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Anchor Bay did a much better job handling these Disney live-action films from the 70s/80s when they released DVDs of them 20 years ago, but even their DVD of SOMETHING WICKED only had the trailer as an extra. I don't think it's laziness but a "bottom line" concern on their part. Shame, because this does have a following.
I also have this DVD and you're right, they also offered 3 different screen viewing options as well.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
so sad when a compny like Disney rots away into a blind and greedy compnay. Forgetting the very audience that helped to make them who they are!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Three Lives of Thomasina is still MIA
right here....https://www.amazon.com/Three-Lives-Thomasina-Patrick-McGoohan/dp/B0001I55R4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Three+Lives+of+Thomasina&qid=1632672529&sr=8-1

Attachments

• 51OxARCcGdL.jpg
    51OxARCcGdL.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 35

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Nope VCI lost home vid rights hence they do not sell it anymore although they would love to get them back I bet! The vid rights here in the states were with Gold Key which in turn wound up at FPX when they bought Gold Key - remember a clip from the film is in Home Alone, so when Disney bought Fox they lost the rights === I talked with Renown they have no connection to the film here in the states they had said to me they could not even sell me the Brit release on dvd.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Love the Disney Club though only thing is most of the classic releases do not count towards your membership goals because everything in that category is reduced below the min price

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Since there’s no time limit and really the thing is to acquire titles that you love and desire to have what’s the problem?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Since there’s no time limit and really the thing is to acquire titles that you love and desire to have what’s the problem?
takes forever to finish you commitment, I love the older stuff not the new dribble

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks