What's new

David Norman

Premium
Love the Disney Club though only thing is most of the classic releases do not count towards your membership goals because everything in that category is reduced below the min price

Are you talking about the DVDs?

Virtually every Bluray is above 19.95 so counts toward your commitments. The last I looked only 4-5 of the Disney titels and a couple dozen Ex-Fox are below the limit.

Since there’s no time limit and really the thing is to acquire titles that you love and desire to have what’s the problem?

Maybe you mean somethign else, but there is a 24 month window to buy your initial required full priced items. And that is a requirement you REALLY don't want to miss.

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Are you talking about the DVDs?

Virtually every Bluray is above 19.95 so counts toward your commitments. The last I looked only 4-5 of the Disney titels and a couple dozen Ex-Fox are below the limit.

Maybe you mean somethign else, but there is a 24 month window to buy your initial required full priced items. And that is a requirement you REALLY don't want to miss.
Yes I buy a mix I still need three more I think === Ichabod and Mr Toad on dvd way under 19.99 etc even In Search of the Castaways blu which I have never seen is under 19.99 I think I still have a year to make it though

David Norman

Premium
I think maybe you're misinterpreting the way DMC lists their prices (actually a common thing). DMC lists their prices with the current offer of 40/50/60% off attached. If you turn off offers (in the Change Offer section) or just put a single item in the cart, you see the regular price. It a quirk you get used to after a while, but it causes a ton of confusion

Search of the Castaways BD like every BD True exclusive has always been 24.95 (except Davy Crockett which is now 29.95). Ichabod and Mr Toad DVD is 19.95 (BD with DVD and digital is 21.95). The item with Fun&Fancy Free is either OOP or on extended backorder since it's no long on the site.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Disney has found the deleted footage and says they plan to reinstate it in future releases. The same cannot be said for the uncut BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS.

Maybe they'll re-restore it when the stage version comes to the United States. It's still unconscionable that they cut it at all, but to put it back and then take it away again? I don't give a shit about the ADR not being a 100% match for the original actors because they didn't care about that one line from an Aladdin song being redubbed so poorly. They should have thought about that when they cast American voice actors instead of English ones. The switch from analog to digital recording also is harder to hide, but not as much as it used to be with the tools they have now. A minute of the film having faded color is better than it being completely irretrievable, and even so they can still narrow the gap between that and everything else better than they could in 1996.

And with The Happiest Millionaire having everything but exit music on Disney+, the excuses not to put Bedknobs back together again again are gone. They didn't even provide any. Even Richard M. Sherman and Angela Lansbury said nothing as they continued to work for the studio.

Pete's Dragon also has a 45th anniversary coming up, so now is as good a time as any to see if the five minutes unaccounted for since about 1982, the time the film made its laserdisc debut*, still exist.

*Yet its only theatrical reissue in 1984 was shortened by eight or nine minutes more from that, I'm told, after the very first US video release was of the much shorter European cut. Why would you go to a theater to see a cut version of a film when you could see a less cut version at home, especially when said film had already been available on video for four years? Yet this was going on while they were first putting scenes back into Happiest Millionaire. B&B had to wait more than a decade for the dust to settle from the change of management after a failed hostile takeover before its reconstruction.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think maybe you're misinterpreting the way DMC lists their prices (actually a common thing). DMC lists their prices with the current offer of 40/50/60% off attached. If you turn off offers (in the Change Offer section) or just put a single item in the cart, you see the regular price. It a quirk you get used to after a while, but it causes a ton of confusion

Search of the Castaways BD like every BD True exclusive has always been 24.95 (except Davy Crockett which is now 29.95). Ichabod and Mr Toad DVD is 19.95 (BD with DVD and digital is 21.95). The item with Fun&Fancy Free is either OOP or on extended backorder since it's no long on the site.
THANK U!!!!!

Real Name
Joe
I hope so. Considering the massive wealth of movies they own, it's shameless how little is actually on Disney Plus. If it weren't for Star Wars and the MCU, no way would I subscribe. I thought there would be so much more.
Just before they launched Plus offered a buy one year get two free so I went with it. When that runs out (next year I think) I'm done unless they start adding some of the classic stuff. I have no interest in watching reruns of Boy Meets World Meets Girl Meets World.

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Back in the 60s when Walt hosted the Wonderful World of Color, and before that the other Disney show (whose name I forget) and did personal introductions and recaps of some of the films when he showed them serialized on free television. He even explained in some why he decided to make the movie in the first place. I have always wished they would include Walt's comments on the VHS and DVD releases. But that hasn't happened. I don't expect we'll see them in the future either.

Naturally, I realize they included Walt's comments on the DVD of the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. But that is the only one I am aware of.
I think it was Walt Disney presents?!!!

Mark-W

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes, it's true that Bradbury felt his material was not well-used for the movie, and he was somehow allowed to say so in the commentary. In many instances, I agree with his discontent. Adding the spiders to the Dust Witch sequence just made it look like many other 80's horror thrillers, as good as it might have been in another movie. I know Disney reworked some of the effects, but some of them still seem a bit sloppy. The climactic carousel sequence is far too rushed, and the sound mix is so bad you can't hear what the actors are shouting. An unusual complaint from me: the movie is too short! It needs more of a build-up, showing a more detailed reveal of the father-son relationship, and the ways in which the two boys "matured" at a somewhat different rate and began to grow apart.

Personally, though, I think about 75% of SWTWC is excellent. The actors are all fine. Special kudos to Jonathan Pryce, who is everything I imagined Mr. Dark to be as I read and re-read the novel years before the film's release. The sequence in the library is just about perfect. And the film has a genuinely creepy-yet-nostalgic atmosphere that few films achieve. Makes one wish that all aspects of the film had been given the same affection that director Jack Clayton (THE INNOCENTS, ROOM AT THE TOP) obviously tried to put into it.

I really look forward to this release.

If anyone is seeking the Bradbury commentary track, taken from the laser disc, please PM me.
I just listened to the commentary. Overall, Bradbury states that the film as originally shot, truer to the book, was not working, the magic was too subtle, and the test audience left the theater in silence. Hence the reshoots for 25-40% of the film. He admits he was wrong about adding the special effects to the library page ripping scene, and seems humble and appreciative of the final film. He also admitted that his opening narration was not working, and one of his last comments in the commentary, that is he proud of the film. He makes it sound like he was actively involved in the rewriting of the script and the reshoots.

Great commentary, which also includes some of the other makers of the film.

It is irritating that I have to pull other resources, when I want to listen to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pox;and
Recent bookmarks