What's new

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that anyone's surprised at Disney. Don't forget, this is the company that refuses to put "When Love Is Gone" back into The Muppet Christmas Carol, even though the footage has been found and the director has repeatedly asked them to restore it. Disney is too busy recycling cartoons to stage, stage to live action film, and live action film to God knows what. Thankfully, my kids are past the age of caring about Disney, and their kids have only cared about the classic hand-drawn films. For some reason they haven't liked anything post-Aladdin.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I think any chance of deeper catalog material (or special features included with them) from Disney basically died with Roy E. Disney, over a decade ago. Unlike him, the company doesn't really care about such things, only their higher-profile cash cows and current fare. They would rather you didn't own physical copies of any of it (even though that genie is long out of the bottle, much to their chagrin), and be content with subscribing to what they stream, which is essentially a running meter which gives them your money indefinitely, whether you actively watch much of anything on their service per month or not... with minimal effort expended in what is offered there, other than HD transfers, and this only because it's what is generally expected in the digital age.

So, in other words, a conglomeration of soulless, mercenary hacks who would nickle-and-dime you to death, given half a chance.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm surprised that anyone's surprised at Disney. Don't forget, this is the company that refuses to put "When Love Is Gone" back into The Muppet Christmas Carol, even though the footage has been found and the director has repeatedly asked them to restore it.
Disney has found the deleted footage and says they plan to reinstate it in future releases. The same cannot be said for the uncut BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS.

Rodney

Premium
Heck they don’t even release most of the old live action films on their streaming service. I can only watch Snowball Express in 1.33 so many times. I even have to borrow my Moms old DVD of Follow Me Boys.
The best available version of Follow Me, Boys! was when it was shown on TCM for their Treasures from the Disney Vault. It was shown complete in the proper aspect ratio. I'm so glad I recorded it so I can watch it again and again and not have to rely on the MAR DVD.

TCM-March-2017-Disney-696x807.png

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The best available version of Follow Me, Boys! was when it was shown on TCM for their Treasures from the Disney Vault. It was shown complete in the proper aspect ratio. I'm so glad I recorded it so I can watch it again and again and not have to rely on the MAR DVD.

TCM-March-2017-Disney-696x807.png
I saw that they offered the Steel Book anniversary edition? But being Disney...

Capt Cheese Pro

Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I think any chance of deeper catalog material (or special features included with them) from Disney basically died with Roy E. Disney, over a decade ago. Unlike him, the company doesn't really care about such things, only their higher-profile cash cows and current fare. They would rather you didn't own physical copies of any of it (even though that genie is long out of the bottle, much to their chagrin), and be content with subscribing to what they stream, which is essentially a running meter which gives them your money indefinitely, whether you actively watch much of anything on their service per month or not... with minimal effort expended in what is offered there, other than HD transfers, and this only because it's what is generally expected in the digital age.

So, in other words, a conglomeration of soulless, mercenary hacks who would nickle-and-dime you to death, given half a chance.
What they don't realise is that by adding the bonus materials it upgrades the value of that release. I understand that many today just don't want the phyiscal formats and go digital. I think they'er waiting for the old people to die and forget the love we all have for the DVD and BLuray. And to be hopeful, a new generation wanting remastered Bluray and 4K editions!!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
only black panther and last jedi had dolby vision. that would have never happened under the old buena vista collection. sadly it is the way of physical media bygones be bygones

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Never mind their own stuff. They shelled out $73 billion to buy over 100 years' worth of films from Fox, Twentieth Century and Twentieth Century-Fox and then buried them in a salt mine. They won't even license most of them to repertory theatres, let alone release them on disc. Explain that.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Back in the 60s when Walt hosted the Wonderful World of Color, and before that the other Disney show (whose name I forget) and did personal introductions and recaps of some of the films when he showed them serialized on free television. He even explained in some why he decided to make the movie in the first place. I have always wished they would include Walt's comments on the VHS and DVD releases. But that hasn't happened. I don't expect we'll see them in the future either.

Naturally, I realize they included Walt's comments on the DVD of the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. But that is the only one I am aware of.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Never mind their own stuff. They shelled out $73 billion to buy over 100 years' worth of films from Fox, Twentieth Century and Twentieth Century-Fox and then buried them in a salt mine. They won't even license most of them to repertory theatres, let alone release them on disc. Explain that.
It's not much of a mystery, they're going to eventually put them on a streaming service.

Museum Pieces

Second Unit
Real Name
Skylar
It's not much of a mystery, they're going to eventually put them on a streaming service.
I hope so. Considering the massive wealth of movies they own, it's shameless how little is actually on Disney Plus. If it weren't for Star Wars and the MCU, no way would I subscribe. I thought there would be so much more.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hope so. Considering the massive wealth of movies they own, it's shameless how little is actually on Disney Plus. If it weren't for Star Wars and the MCU, no way would I subscribe. I thought there would be so much more.
I can understand that there isn't a huge audience for deep cuts from the Disney vault but there Is still an audience so I wish they'd start putting up more obscure stuff. Even if it was designed to be a "limited-time event" where they put certain things up only for a few months until they rotated to something else that is rare. Hopefully, more rarities are a long term plan of Disney +.

As for the Fox library, I wouldn't be surprised to see movies from that end up on Hulu in the U.S. so they can get more people to pay for that too.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Lazy digital media department cut back to the bone because it's no longer the profit center it once was. Quarterly profits are all that count now and streaming is where that profit center is at the moment. Send an e-mail complaint and no one will even bother to respond except with some pre-canned lame thank you for contacting us but we don't care what you want.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Back in the 60s when Walt hosted the Wonderful World of Color, and before that the other Disney show (whose name I forget) and did personal introductions and recaps of some of the films when he showed them serialized on free television. He even explained in some why he decided to make the movie in the first place. I have always wished they would include Walt's comments on the VHS and DVD releases. But that hasn't happened. I don't expect we'll see them in the future either.

Naturally, I realize they included Walt's comments on the DVD of the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. But that is the only one I am aware of.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Three Lives Of Thomasina is hands-down the best of the three films Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber made for the studio. It has an excellent-looking DVD that was remastered in anamorphic widescreen (that's more than The Gnome-Mobile got), yet has gotten nothing beyond that. Perhaps it needs to be restored before it can be ready for its HD debut. But no streaming of even the existing transfers? That's odd.

Oddly enough, The Gnome-Mobile was one of the 2010s iTunes HD remasters and was so much better than the DVD, it's a revelation.

The Disney laser disc of SWTWC contains a commentary track by Ray Bradbury, among others. Shame this hasn't been carried over to DVD or Blu-ray.

From what I recall, Mr. Bradbury was not very complimentary to the studio. That may be why it hasn't been heard since and why that "the views and interviews expressed here do not reflect the views of the studio" spiel is now a thing.

Disney's Blu-ray release of The Black Hole was very disappointing and you had to buy it thru their Club.

Disney would give practically everything from the 1970s the Song of the South treatment if they could. I'd have liked to see them go all out for this just because there are so, so, SO many promotional materials they could incorporate (I heard it was rumored as an Exclusive Archive Collection laserdisc but then that got scrapped apparently because of the Anchor Bay deal that brought it to DVD), but their take-it-or-leave-it attitude is grating. Worse movies have gotten better treatment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pox;and
Recent bookmarks