What's new

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Concidering the massive archives and collections held within the Disney vaults, it amazes me at the lack of bonus features that aren't included with any new Blu-ray or 4K disc releases. Bad enough they you don't deep dive on the classics like "The Love Bug" or "The Absent Minded Professor" but once again I was wound up and once agan severly disapointed in the release of one of my favorite 80s Disney releases. When it finally dropped on the Disney Movie Club site, into Blu-ray format "Something Evil This Way Comes" from the clasic Ray Bradbury novel. I've seen bad import copies with better features, not even a single commentary track?? Not to mention my suspision that nothing was done to upgrade or remaster either the sound or picture elements...just a "drop and kick it out the door" treatmant after 29 years!!
I bought the DVD when it came out in 2004 and by A/B viewing see nothing has changed!!! Maybe Disney is just getting LAZY?? Maybe they're so huge they just don't care? When you see other video companies like Arrow, Kino Lorber, Criterion and even Flicker Alley and others going the extra mlie with delted scenes, multiple commentatries, some even with the principal actors from the feature film, I have to ask...why has Disney remained so resistent in adding any additional content to their amazing feature films? Is it just me or WTH?!!!

Attachments

• 7745055550494.jpeg
    7745055550494.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 47
  • something wicked-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
    something wicked-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 14

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Maybe Disney is just getting LAZY?? Maybe they're so huge they just don't care? When you see other video companies like Arrow, Kino Lorber, Criterion and even Flicker Alley and others going the extra mlie with delted scenes, multiple commentatries, some even with the principal actors from the feature film, I have to ask...why has Disney remained so resistent in adding any additional content to their amazing feature films? Is it just me or WTH?!!!
Anchor Bay did a much better job handling these Disney live-action films from the 70s/80s when they released DVDs of them 20 years ago, but even their DVD of SOMETHING WICKED only had the trailer as an extra. I don't think it's laziness but a "bottom line" concern on their part. Shame, because this does have a following.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Anchor Bay did a much better job handling these Disney live-action films from the 70s/80s when they released DVDs of them 20 years ago, but even their DVD of SOMETHING WICKED only had the trailer as an extra. I don't think it's laziness but a "bottom line" concern on their part. Shame, because this does have a following.
The Anchor Bay "Limited Edition" VHS release of THE BLACK HOLE.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 23r234231.jpg
s-l1600 rf.jpg
s-l1600 fwerrew.jpg
s-l1600 ey456546.jpg

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yeah I agree, sad but when you consider some of the earlier released movies that were done prior to Walt Disney’s death, they had excerpts of him introducing the film talking about the film and for example Swiss family Robinson or any of the classics like Swamp Fox or the scarecrow of Romney marsh there were some extras in there and some deleted scenes but after his death it seems that they just push the stuff out like another piece of baloney, sad!!!

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Disney's Blu-ray release of The Black Hole was very disappointing and you had to buy it thru their Club.
Disney not only makes you pay a premium for the burger it only shows you the fries it doesn’t give them to you, LOL!!! Well dizzy production seems to be a rudderless ship and then angry see, with all the archive materials they have all the various movies shame on them

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The commentary by Ray Bradbury would’ve been excellent for this, just a shame they just go out of their way to not give you the bonus materials, or if it’s just me or others out there got the same feeling but it’s just it’s a load of something!!!

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
When they started up Disney+ I was hoping they would release much of the material in their archives for streaming. Particularly, all the live action episodes from World of Disney/Color/Walt Disney Presents/Disneyland. But the new Corporate Disney has long forgotten the wealth and heritage that helped get Disney to where it is today. And it wouldn't be there if Walt hadn't built it from the ground up and promoted it through the TV medium.

I keep thinking about all the shows such as all the serialized Adventures of Gallagher, Killroy, For the Love of Willadean, Moochie and the Little League, Moochie of Pop Warner Football, The Horsemasters, etc. etc. etc. But if Corporate Disney can't squeeze a buck out of it in 2021, they aren't interested. As for recent releases to Disney Movie Club Exclusives, some of these were released as material for the club but were actually rescanned in HD for use on Disney+ first and foremost.

I mean, when I saw The Mickey Mouse Club on Disney+, I thought the whole series would be on there but no. It's the same one week of episodes they released on DVD some time back as The Best of the Mickey Mouse Club and nothing more than that.

When I see studio executives talking about film preservation, and then are letting material such as this go all to crap in the vault, I think, "Yeah, talk to Disney about that."

I could go on and on and on and on but I won't because this is all nothing new but it gives me another chance to get it off my chest. At the age of 69, I've given up any hope we'll ever see much of any of the material wasting away in some Disney Vault. But we did get Sammy, the Way Out seal even if the DVD transfer was mediocre.

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
When they started up Disney+ I was hoping they would release much of the material in their archives for streaming. Particularly, all the live action episodes from World of Disney/Color/Walt Disney Presents/Disneyland. But the new Corporate Disney has long forgotten the wealth and heritage that helped get Disney to where it is today. And it wouldn't be there if Walt hadn't built it from the ground up and promoted it through the TV medium.

I keep thinking about all the shows such as all the serialized Adventures of Gallagher, Killroy, For the Love of Willadean, Moochie and the Little League, Moochie of Pop Warner Football, The Horsemasters, etc. etc. etc. But if Corporate Disney can't squeeze a buck out of it in 2021, they aren't interested. As for recent releases to Disney Movie Club Exclusives, some of these were released as material for the club but were actually rescanned in HD for use on Disney+ first and foremost.

I mean, when I saw The Mickey Mouse Club on Disney+, I thought the whole series would be on there but no. It's the same one week of episodes they released on DVD some time back as The Best of the Mickey Mouse Club and nothing more than that.

When I see studio executives talking about film preservation, and then are letting material such as this go all to crap in the vault, I think, "Yeah, talk to Disney about that."

I could go on and on and on and on but I won't because this is all nothing new but it gives me another chance to get it off my chest. At the age of 69, I've given up any hope we'll ever see much of any of the material wasting away in some Disney Vault. But we did get Sammy, the Way Out seal even if the DVD transfer was mediocre. Believe me, I feel your pain

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With very few exceptions, almost all of the Disney Movie Club Blu-rays are going to be barebones. That's just the way it goes. I look at them as a courtesy for those of us who want the movie on Blu-ray because most of them probably wouldn't be released at all without the club.

Disney probably figures the vast majority of people who are interested enough in these titles to seek out a club exclusive release are going to buy them no matter what. It would be nice to have bonus features carried over, but I never declined to buy a movie I wanted because there weren't bonus features.

Earlier this year, I upgraded Holes from DVD (which I've owned since 2003) via the club exclusive Blu-ray release. There are lots of bonus on the DVD, including two audio commentary tracks. As usual, there's nothing on the Blu-ray. So instead of passing off the old DVD to a friend, as I would do otherwise, I hung onto the DVD. I use the Blu-ray when I want to watch the movie and put in the DVD if I want to look at the special features. Would it be nicer if everything had carried over and I could unload the DVD? Sure. Is it a problem for me to keep the DVD? No. I absolutely think the Blu-ray was worth getting just to have the movie in HD regardless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tskogg
Recent bookmarks