What's new

Shallow Depth Receiver Needed (1 Viewer)

monoverb

Auditioning
Real Name
Thierry Solmne
My 1st post... hello to all.

I realize this is a pathetic parameter to base a receiver purchase on..but I have shelves 12" deep and the only receiver I can find that is even close is the YAMAHA HTR-5930 Which comes in at 12.375" deep... Anyone know of any others that might be close to that?

I am not the biggest fan of Yamaha gear in general..but it's for a system my kids will be using and I don't think Thomas the Train does 5.1 just yet.

monoverb

Auditioning
Real Name
Thierry Solmne
Yes.. Thanks. That one is in the running as well...Really slim pickens' out there, but again, I realize that it really would not be a consideration for most.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
"Slim pickens"! LOL. I GET it!

Anyway, yes, it actually took me longer than I expected to find that pic on the Internet. But the fact is, those digital receivers are supposed to sound pretty good. If it's for the kids, I really don't know why you would have any hesitation, other than price (e.g. you are looking to spend less than $400 on it).

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
remember to factor in the connections on the back - some of them will stick out an additional inch from the box

Also, the cables take up room back there, so you probably need about 2 inches total, behind the physical size of the receiver

good luck with this

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This seems to imply you don't need surround sound - if so Sony's STR-DE197 stereo receiver is only 11.89" deep. Actually, most of their DE series which includes surround capability are pretty shallow compared to other brands (I only know this because Best Buy's new display shelves are at eye level and use an open-backed design now).

Personally though, I feel better recommending that Yamaha you found, or the Newcastle if its price isn't a problem.

Or...........one of the stereo-only HTiB systems that have been appearing lately. Not exactly my favorite brand but this gloss white Samsung has a groovy organic look kids would probably like and it actually sounds pretty good (BB's brick-n-mortar stores carry the gloss black version, which also includes an enormous info display using 2" high blue LED characters). And this from Philips.

monoverb

Auditioning
Real Name
Thierry Solmne
10" Sherwood... wow. Thank YOU.
Don't know much about the company but the size is really something else.

The Sony is a good suggestion as well.. but I do need surround sound for those off nights that my wife wants to watch an AWARD SHOW in the main room.

I can't take much more.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
What about some of the mini systems like the Onkyo CS-V720S which is also 5.1 compatible?

monoverb

Auditioning
Real Name
Thierry Solmne

I did consider some mini systems... already have the Energy 5.1s in place...didnt want to get into matching them with a pre-matched system.

monoverb

Auditioning
Real Name
Thierry Solmne
"Settled" on the YAMAHA HTR-5930

Set it up (Plugged it in and watched FIREWALL)
Did not fiddle with a single setting.
5.1 Movie "Dramatic"

Now.. this thing is replacing a ROTEL RSX-965 and I have to say that
first impression..I am impressed.

it sounds better than the Rotel (?!?!?!) which cost me $1200 back in 2000
The yamaha was $160

Will post full review in a new thread once I do a better set up, smoke some pot and burn thru the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Free2Fight

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Beeks
I actually found one that fits my 12" bookshelf. Like you - I looked and looked but, found nothing on line. Then, I went to Costco and found this Sony receiver which is only one of two total receivers the store caries. It is a Sony STR-DH720HP receiver. It's dimensions are ~ 17" wide, 6-1/2" high and only ~ 11" deep. If you include the nobs on the front and the room for wires on the back - it is~ 12-1/2" deep. I don't think Sony knows how unique this depth is because when I look up the specs on Sony websites - they don't mention how shallow it is. Hope this helps and reaches you in time. Brand Sony Model DH720 Family Line Sony STR Product Type Receiver MPN STRDH720 UPC 0027242809345 Key Features Output Power 735 watt Amplifier Output Details 105 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 1.0% - 7 channel(s) ( surround ) HDMI Switching Yes Built-in Decoders DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby TrueHD Receiver Tuner Type Digital Receiver Tuner Bands AM/FM Response Bandwidth 10 - 70000 Hz

Free2Fight

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Beeks
I actually found one that fits my 12" bookshelf. Like you - I looked and looked but, found nothing on line. Then, I went to Costco and found this Sony receiver which is only one of two total receivers the store caries. It is a Sony STR-DH720HP receiver. It's dimensions are ~ 17" wide, 6-1/2" high and only ~ 11" deep. If you include the nobs on the front and the room for wires on the back - it is~ 12-1/2" deep. I don't think Sony knows how unique this depth is because when I look up the specs on Sony websites - they don't mention how shallow it is. Hope this helps and reaches you in time. Brand Sony Model DH720 Family Line Sony STR Product Type Receiver MPN STRDH720 UPC 0027242809345 Key Features Output Power 735 watt Amplifier Output Details 105 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 1.0% - 7 channel(s) ( surround ) HDMI Switching Yes Built-in Decoders DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby TrueHD Receiver Tuner Type Digital Receiver Tuner Bands AM/FM Response Bandwidth 10 - 70000 Hz

Free2Fight

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Beeks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks