What's new

Shall I stick with BenQ? (past problems) (1 Viewer)

gordonK

Auditioning
My BenQ PE 8720 just took a dump so it's time for a new projector. I've enjoyed the performance of BenQ. This was my second BenQ projector. I'm considering the BenQ W7000, the Epson 5030UB, or the Panasonic AE8000. I'm leaning toward the BenQ as I can get the best price on the W7000 and it sounds like a great projector. My only concern is my last two BenQ projectors died by way of self destructing/ shattering color wheels after about 4 -5 years of use. Is this something I need to be concerned with if i decide to go forward with the W7000?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes. Destruction of the color wheel after 4 years is just a reality of DLP.Do they all blow at 4? No. But I don't know many people who keep projectors 6+ years.Good news and news.Have faith that your next DLP projector might just be your last projector. Read up on DuPont OLED. If Panasonic/DuPont has their way...OLED will have killed off every other display type(plasma/LCD/projector) by 2018(4 years from now).

The only way projection survives beyond 2020 is for those who maintain AT screens(that is if OLED AT never becomes commercially viable).

gordonK

Auditioning
6 years would be nice, but having two projectors puke-up their color wheels at 4 years each bothers me. I'd be happy to spend another few grand on a new BenQ if I was convinced the new W7000 would be trouble free for 6 years. I guess what I was hoping for was for someone to say BenQ has re-designed their color wheels since then, and the new units should last much longer. Wishful thinking?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If this were a DLP TV I'd tell you to replace the color wheel(cheap and easy to do if you can change your own brake pads on a car).

Since this is a projector...and the leaps they make every 4 years in picture quality...consider it a blessing.

That, and you'd kick your own ass settling for a LCD projector after having DLP so long.

Panasonic's 8000(and is their "only" production projector for 2014...everything else is leftover unsold 2013) is carryover for 2014. They are killing basically "everything else" that matters(meaning plasma).

I hope(cause I have no real idea...but wishful thinking) Panasonic has done this cause DuPont OLED is ready for primetime in 2015.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
gordonK said:
6 years would be nice, but having two projectors puke-up their color wheels at 4 years each bothers me. I'd be happy to spend another few grand on a new BenQ if I was convinced the new W7000 would be trouble free for 6 years. I guess what I was hoping for was for someone to say BenQ has re-designed their color wheels since then, and the new units should last much longer. Wishful thinking?
A moving part is a moving part.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
My BenQ PE 8720 just took a dump so it's time for a new projector. I've enjoyed the performance of BenQ. This was my second BenQ projector. I'm considering the BenQ W7000, the Epson 5030UB, or the Panasonic AE8000. I'm leaning toward the BenQ as I can get the best price on the W7000 and it sounds like a great projector. My only concern is my last two BenQ projectors died by way of self destructing/ shattering color wheels after about 4 -5 years of use. Is this something I need to be concerned with if i decide to go forward with the W7000?
A color wheel going bad after 4-5 years is not unusual. If you are worried, buy an extended warranty.

gordonK

Auditioning
Wow, That color wheel is not expensive at all. Do you know if they are difficult to replace? Had I not just purchased a new lamp a few months ago, I would no doubt just move forward with a new projector. If this color wheel is an easy fix I'll see if I can squeeze another year at of this 8720.
Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are numerous "how to replace a color wheel" youtube videos. I've seen it done on a Mits RPTV and it took 90 minutes. I would assume the vast majority of projectors can be done in 45. There isn't much to them once you get inside.

If this one is already broken, I would take it apart first to make sure the wheel didn't cause collateral damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks