What's new

Pre-Order Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Yeah they are connected for me.
Came out same summer I think.
It's funny, I've noticed recently that some older "2 star" films have suddenly been upgraded to "3 star" status. I noticed that when Corvette Summer aired on TCM a couple of weeks ago. Is it just that nostalgia is kicking in and people are remembering them more fondly or is it that when compared to some of the films coming out today, they seem better?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, this movie completely passed me by, back in the day, & I think it's only right that the Blu-ray does the same.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I remember seeing this back in the day and it was godawful then, I can't imagine the passage of time has helped it

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed this film the same way I enjoyed The Monkees TV show. It was a kinda goofy story, with some slapstick thrown in, with each scene featuring a Beatles song. Honestly, I think one of the biggest reasons it got such a negative reaction is that the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album is such a respected masterpiece, and this is anything but. The best analogy I can make is that it's like The Monkees, but with better cinematography and sets.

Cheers to Shout for getting this to blu-ray.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We'll have to agree to disagree on that, but that's not meant as a disparagement of Head.

I'd hate for this to turn into a "worst movie" thread, but even applying tools of movie criticism, I can think of far, far worse movies that Sgt. Pepper's.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There are a few decent bits in the film (like Steve Martin's rendition of "Maxwell Silver's Hammer") and some of the covers do make for enjoyable listening on CD. But it's a bad movie (and not a fun bad one, like XANADU or THE APPLE)--the gulf between this and, say, TOMMY, both produced by Robert Stigwood, is huge. Still, George and Ringo do make appearances in the final tableau--I wonder how much that cost Stigwood?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I can think of far, far worse movies that Sgt. Pepper's.

Ooo! That's fun. I'll limit it to musicals... Dr Dolittle is better than Sgt Pepper... So is Lost Horizon. Hmm... Off the top of my head, the only two musicals I can think of that are worse are Lisztomania and At Long Last Love. The Beatles certainly do deserve an honorable mention, because Across the Universe, All This and WWII and Sgt Pepper are a monumental triumvirate of bad, even if they aren't the worst.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ooo! That's fun. I'll limit it to musicals... Dr Dolittle is better than Sgt Pepper... So is Lost Horizon. Hmm... Off the top of my head, the only two musicals I can think of that are worse are Lisztomania and At Long Last Love. The Beatles certainly do deserve an honorable mention, because Across the Universe, All This and WWII and Sgt Pepper are a monumental triumvirate of bad, even if they aren't the worst.

Cant agree with that.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
... because Across the Universe, All This and WWII and Sgt Pepper are a monumental triumvirate of bad, even if they aren't the worst.
Across The Universe is unwatchable, IMO. It's REALLY hard to get Beatles' covers right, even among otherwise talented musicians. Very few have managed to do it.

Besides ATU, Moulin Rouge (2001) is the worst musical I've ever seen. I find it absolutely cringe-worthy, though I know that many people love it. :-/

Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason that Sgt. Pepper (the movie) is such a slog for some folks is that, although both Frampton and the brothers Gibb were fine musicians, they reeeeeaaaalllllly weren't actors. They just don't have the charisma needed to carry what is essentially a silent film with songs. I love the visual design of the film and even most of the covers of the songs. It's just that there's very little plot and the main stars of the film are not much fun to watch. I have great affection for the film, but I harbor no illusions that it's actually good or will appeal to most folks. It has a lot about it that is interesting without actually being a traditionally interesting film, if that makes any sense.

I do agree that Can't Stop the Music and The Apple are "better bad films." Can't Stop the Music is an earnest attempt at an old-fashioned backstage musical with stars who are at least game and excited to be there, if not great actors. Well, Caitlin (then-Bruce) Jenner was genuinely terrible but at least she realized after making the film that she wasn't destined to be an actor. The Apple is glorious. I genuinely enjoy it. It's insane, but never boring and the songs are as catchy as the lyrics are bizarre. Sgt. Pepper is an all-star cast made up of people who are there to feed their cocaine habits.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw Sgt. Pepper's once, the first showing on opening day back in the summer of 1978. Let's say I had high hopes. They were crushed. It was simply horrible. Walked out of the theatre and never gave it another thought since, at least until this thread showed up. Won't be wasting my time or money on this release. And am I the only one who thinks the cover art for this release is dreadful? Who thought green would be a good background color for this?
Across The Universe is unwatchable, IMO. It's REALLY hard to get Beatles' covers right, even among otherwise talented musicians. Very few have managed to do it.
However I must strongly disagree on AtU. On this one I am on board with Roger Ebert's 4-star review. Watching this film in the theater filled me with as much joy as Sgt. Pepper's filled me with sadness. To each his own, but I love Across The Universe and revisit it often on Blu-ray.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
However I must strongly disagree on AtU. On this one I am on board with Roger Ebert's 4-star review. Watching this film in the theater filled me with as much joy as Sgt. Pepper's filled me with sadness. To each his own, but I love Across The Universe and revisit it often on Blu-ray.

I also really loved Across the Universe when I saw it. I have since tried to show it to other people who watch the first five minutes, stare at me as if I'm insane, and ask to watch something else. You and me against the world, Craig.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SGT. PEPPER’S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

COMING TO BLU-RAY™ FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

SEPTEMBER 26, 2017

Los Angeles, CA – As the world celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Beatles groundbreaking album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Shout! Factory will release the film of the same name on Blu-ray™ on September 26, 2017, and is available for pre-order now on Shoutfactory.com and Amazon.com. Sit back and let the evening go with the 1978 musical spectacular featuring stunning reinterpretations of over twenty classic Beatles songs! Special features on Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band include an Audio Commentary with Pop Culture Historian Russell Dyball, Galleries and the Original Theatrical Trailer.

The one and only Billy Shears (multi-platinum recording artist Peter Frampton) and his best friends the Hendersons (Rock and Roll Hall of Famers The Bee Gees) are four young men from the quaint little town of Heartland. With superstardom calling, this fabulous foursome leaves Heartland – and Billy’s beloved Strawberry Fields (Sandy Farina) – vulnerable to mean Mr. Mustard, who steals Sgt. Pepper’s magical instruments for a fiendish, “evil force that would poison young minds, pollute the environment, and subvert the democratic process.” It’s up to our heroes to save everything they hold dear with the power of music, kindness, and heart.

Featuring performances by Aerosmith, George Burns, Steve Martin, Earth, Wind & Fire, and more, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is a magical, musical tour through some of the greatest songs ever written, and an astounding time capsule of the late 70s unlike anything you’ve ever seen or heard.

Special Features:

· Audio Commentary With Pop Culture Historian Russell Dyball

· Original Theatrical Trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks