What's new

Setting up my RX-v1800 with Polk Monitor 70 (1 Viewer)

xiaobao12

Grip
Real Name
Loewi Lin
I have a RX-V1800 that I just set up with my new Polk Monitor 70s.
I hear cracking and distorting coming out of the 2nd tweeter from the top on both speakers.
I am testing using the track I've attached. (EDIT: I cannot attach sound files. It's the first mvt from a Mendelssohn Quartet by the Guarneri Quartet.
I am using banana plugs - http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2
I have made sure the + / - connections are correct.
The sound is playing from my computer, thru bluetooth to a Logitech Bluetooth adapter, which is connected RCA --> v1800.
The sound setting on the 1800 is stereo.
I listened to the track with headphones to make sure it's not the recording - it isn't.
Why is it cracking? Did I receive damaged speakers? (Bought from Newegg and the boxed were slightly beat-up).
Thank you for any advice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Try the track via a physical connection.Does the computer have HDMI? If so, use that.Do you have any other sources? What about FM?What kind of track is that? FLAC? MP3?

xiaobao12

Grip
Real Name
Loewi Lin
Hi Schan,

I discovered that it was the bluetooth connection. I played the same track: computer, minijack to RCA on v1800 and it was no problem.

The track was a mp3 256kpbs - essentially lossless right? =d

Is minijack lossless? I did a comparison by streaming a track from youtube on my Western Digital Media Player (HDMI to TV --> optical out to v1800) VERSUS minijack from computer (same track).

Result - it was very hard to tell...

Thoughts?

xiaobao12

Grip
Real Name
Loewi Lin
schan1269 said:
Lossless is irrelevant after the DAC.Mini-Jack is analog...after whatever DAC was used.
hmmm....could you elaborate? I'm confused...I know that DAC stands for digital audio converter....which is my receiver, right?

EDIT: DIGITAL ANALOG CONVERTER..!!!!

xiaobao12

Grip
Real Name
Loewi Lin
Well...sort of. So, the track coming out of my computer has been DAC'ed, then is minijacked out in analog to my v1800. right?

I don't understand your statement: "loss is irrelevant".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks