What's new

Set of towers for bedroom (1 Viewer)

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
i am looking to buy a set of fairly cheap(less than 400US) tower or floor standing speakers for my bedroom.

will be used 70% for music with a denon 1603.

to be honest my ears havent been trained enough to tell the difference in most speakers. i can hear differences in a $100 speaker and a $1000 speaker but there is no way i am spending that much. i bought a set of "white van" digital pro audio towers from a friend for $150 and they sounded fine for me. after listening to them for awhile i wasnt extremely impressed by them or anything but they did sound good enough for me. especially for the price. they were a bit bass heavy do to the dual 8 inch woofers but it was great for music and easy to tone down for movies. i know most audiophiles here wouldnt even think of getting them but they worked nicely for myself and my parents really enjoy them now that i have left them with them.

if i could get something similar for that same price i would be happy but i could spend more money if needed for better performance.

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
they will be powered by the 80w that the reciever puts out.

also looking for a center that would match nicely.

thanks for any help.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Cerwin Vega's would be a really good choice as well.

I would say either Cerwin Vega CVT100 3 Way Tower or Cerwin Vega RE-30 3 Way. I think you can get RE-30 at Best Buy.

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
wouldnt having a dual port on different planes such as on the axiom towers listed above provoke cancellation fairly easily?

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
4T only has 5 1/4 drivers. i am used to 8" drivers. dont think this will provide the sound that i am used to. i think i would want something with at least 6 1/2 inch drivers.

are there any companies that sell just cabinets for a reasonable price so that i could add my own drivers? or maybe i could just pick up a cheap tower by pyramid or pyle and switch out the drivers and crossovers. i tried looking for specs on their cabinets but could really find what size and tune they were to compare with various drivers.

Lee M T

Second Unit
Check out Athena Technologies Audition series. They are under API, the same group associated with Energy and Mirage. Athena can actually be found at Best Buy and have pretty remarkable sound for thier price and build. Their largest towers, the AS-F2 have dual 8" woofers and a 1" tweeter, front ported and are 41 1/2" tall with a weight of 51 pounds each. Price you ask? $299 each. Not bad, they have a smaller floorstander as well for $199. Give them a shot.

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
how about the JBL Northridge Series ND310II

they are $200 each at jandr.com

any opinions on them?

they may be a bit too much for my bedroom but i think they would be great for when i get my house.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The 4T has bass into the 30s. The fact your "white van" speakers have 8" woofers doesn't mean anything about the bass level and bass quality you are getting. Boomy bass isn't good bass.

Go listen to things in your price range.

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
i know that boomy bass isnt considered good bass. but as i said before my ears are not yet trained enough to hear dramatic differences in small flaws.

while yes i could detect boominess on occasion on the speakers that i had it wasnt enough to justify spending twice as much on something that isnt boomy but lacks the extra midbass that i prefer. and as i stated it was nice with music and easy to turn down the towers to make it less noticable while watching movies.

i dont see why i would need towers to play down to 30hz. that doesnt indicate much to me other than the fact that they will be playing a block of frequencies that my sub should be taking care of.

i know that i have a lot to learn and thats why i came here for help.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,
The Northridge series speakers are decent but I just prefer the Studio series. I felt that the Northridge series sounds just a bit muffled compared to the Studio. If you have a Best Buy nearby you can stop in and listen to the Northridge speakers to see if you like them. They might even have some Studio series speakers left over but I'm pretty sure they discontinued selling them. If they do have any they'll be selling them at a discount. Probably not as low as jandr though.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
4T only has 5 1/4 drivers. i am used to 8" drivers. dont think this will provide the sound that i am used to. i think i would want something with at least 6 1/2 inch drivers
You won't know for sure unless you get out there and listen to some speakers. You can't judge a speaker by specs alone. :wink:

A couple of 4T reviews:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?330

Link Removed

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
Sunday is for listening. weekdays are for work for me. all i do all day long. luckily i get a lot of time to do nothing while at work and have a chance to browse the internet. its hard to set a whole day aside to do anything which is what i would like to do when i audition so that i can listen to as much as possible in one day and bounce from speaker to speaker.

just trying to get some ideas of what i should look at. i realize home audio isnt as crooked as car audio but i would still like a starting point.

while on the subject: i plan on using some tool, sublime, incubus, staind and a bit of pastor troy, snoop, wutang to test for music. i dont really know what dvds to try any suggestion?

what places carry denon recievers? i would like to hear them on the 1603 if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks