What's new

Servo 15 X-Series Sub Control Unit (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
It comes with the Servo 15 but can be exchanged for money. Is it something to keep or would one be better off pocketing the money?

Howard,

I originally bought my Servo-15 without the X-30 control unit. I used, for a few months, my Denon AVR-5800 and was pretty happy. The 80hz crossover in the Denon worked fine with my speakers, but might not with yours. The control unit gives you the flexibility to adjust the crossover frequency. What eventually prompted me to buy the X-30 was the remote volume control on it - I found myself adjusting the sub's volume control (on its side and a pain to get to) when transitioning between movies and music. I find, now that I've got it, that the X-30 is well worth the $160 or whatever it cost. YMMV, though.

Ross

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I have Paradigm Studio 60s. I should be fine right?

As for volume control. What I usually do is turn off the sub and set my mains to large when I listen to music. I don't adjust my sub volume all that much and I'll save the money and go behind to adjust the volume thank you. What other benefits are there to the X15 control unit?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I found myself adjusting the sub's volume control (on its side and a pain to get to) when transitioning between movies and music.
I would suggest creating separate bass level memories in the 5800 for the different listening modes. For example, in DD/DTS have it calibrated to VE/Avia reference. In Stereo mode (or whatever) for music set it lower until it's balanced. The Denon remembers these different settings for each mode so you should never have to touch the sub's volume control. Another problem with playing with the analog control is getting it back to the proper calibrated setting for movies.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
What is the best way to hook up the Servo 15 then?

Using a high quality sub cable and running it through the X15 control unit?

Don O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm will tell you that the 3rd order filter in the X30 is a perfect match for the servo 15. The argument against using the filter is based on a preference to filter the signal in the digital domain. If your processor/receiver can be set to sub "yes" without the low pass filter engaged, then you can avoid cascading 2 filters.

The x20 and x10 do not filter line level signals.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I really don't have much knowledge of this. I plan to buy the 49tx as my next receiver and want to make things very good so I don't mind spending the money on cables and stuff. What would be the best way to hook up the Servo 15 when I do end up getting it? I wish I had paid more attention to the sub connection threads but I can't seem to find it right now. I heard sub cables aren't exactly the best way to hook up the sub. As for the controller should I keep it then or would I be better off having the 49tx manage everything?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks