What's new

September 11 (11 Directors; 11 Mini-Films): Will This Make It To Region 1 DVD? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"11'09"01 -- September 11", the 135-minute film from 2002, which features 11 different segments of 11 minutes each by 11 different directors around the globe, is available on Region 2 DVD.

Anybody know when a Region 1 release might be forthcoming?

Roger Ebert gives it a good 3-Star rating.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow! Reading Ebert's review makes me yearn
to see this DVD.

Would have been nice to see a Region 1 issue
on the second anniversary of this tragic occurance.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
It's still making the theater rounds in some places (it's finally coming to my area next week), so it might be a awhile before we even get an press release.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For anyone who receives the Trio TV network, it is showing this film tomorrow (9/11/03) at 9pm EDT with a repeat showing at midnight. They have it listed for a 2-hour time slot, and they run commercials. So if the running time listed above is correct, they must be running less than the full version.

M.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That does sound like a powerful collection.

For those who may be interested, the U.S. Department of Labor is distributing a documentary about the 9 month clean-up at Ground-Zero entitled Up From Zero.

It is available for free (U.S. residents only?). I started a thread about it here.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chris. :)

Can't beat that price.

Gee whiz, they (Dept. Of Labor) should at the least ask us to pay for the postage ($2-$3). I'd have been happy to. Oh, well... :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
While we're on the subject of 9/11 programming.......
According to Amazon, this DVD (Part 8 of a PBS-TV series) was
released September 9.

Has anybody gotten this yet? (Or the 7-Parter which preceded it?) ........

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Has anybody gotten this yet? (Or the 7-Parter which preceded it?) ........
Haven't got the DVD, but saw the program on PBS Monday night. Fascinating documentary. I had no idea all they went through to get the WTC built and the old neighborhood it displaced. Recommended.

Michael, thanks for the heads up on the Trio airing. I've been looking forward to this one since Ebert's original review on Ebert & Roeper. I've set my Tivo...

Rob

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I saw it too [the PBS "New York Part 8" program]. It's the best WTC documentary I've seen, by far.
I'm slightly confused by this response.

The package says it's a documentary which covers 58 years of N.Y. history. But is the majority of its running time devoted to 9/11?

What's its total running time?

I would imagine at least a chapter or two would center on the 1993 WTC attack as well. Correct?

Anyway...looking forward to grabbing this one regardless.

(It's a steal @ DDD, just $10.79. :))

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The program covers the history of the World Trade Center, starting in 1946 with plans to revitalize lower Manhattan through the events of 9/11. The runtime for the program ( as per the review on DVD Angle ) is close to 3 hours. I saw portions of the program on Monday evening and was very impressed by the scope and treatment of the subject matter. I will be adding this title to my collection.

DVD Angle's review of the disc is at http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3249

_ Walter.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.... I saw it on PBS and was very impressed. I was 4 blocks away watching in horror as it happened that day, (had jury duty...) and the event still resonates quite profoundly with me. The DVD angle review says it's anamorphic WS and yet the box states that it is a matted widescreen release. Anybody know..???

D

Matt_P

Second Unit
I agree with the comments so far. It is a well done documentary that is exhaustive in its content, superb technically, and is quite touching. The 3 hours flew by. Recommended.

Not sure if it's anamorphic, though.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
the event still resonates quite profoundly with me. The DVD angle review says it's anamorphic WS and yet the box states that it is a matted widescreen release. Anybody know..???
Forgive me for finding this juxtaposition hilarious :)

--
H

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Holadem, Duly noted. It was 7:47am, I hadn't had coffee yet and I have ADD, and that is actually how my brain works. Egad, I actually DID write that....!!!!!
What I meant was, I'd like to buy it to have, but I could just tape it off PBS if the DVD isn't noticeably better quality. That's all...
:eek: D

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
11 x 11 = 121 min.
Wonder what the (supposed) other 14 minutes contain. ???
Each film is actually 11 minutes 9 seconds 1 frame in length (hence the title 11'09"01), plus there are brief introductions (30 sec) before each film, brief opening credits, and one final set of credits at the end.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Each film is actually 11 minutes 9 seconds 1 frame in length (hence the title 11'09"01), plus there are brief introductions (30 sec) before each film, brief opening credits, and one final set of credits at the end.
Thanks for the data Michael. :) *tips cap*

Coressel

Supporting Actor
The Ric Burns doc mentioned earlier is a continuation of his "New York - A Documentary Film" from 2 years ago, right? I wonder if they'll reissue that $100 set with this last (or latest) part added on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks