What's new

Seperates for around $1500. Need amp advice. (1 Viewer)

I have decided to go with seperates over a standalone receiver. I initially decided to go with the Rotel 1065, but for the price, I think I would be better off with seperates.

My question is, if I go with a the Outlaw 950 or Rotel 1066, what would be a good amp to match up for 70% HT and 30% music, that would sell for around $500-$600. Additionally, I have 7 year old DCM powered Timeframe Premiers as my front speakers and the DCM KX center Channel for Center.

I have been considering the following amps (probably used):

Parasound 855a (would 85Watts be enough)

Acurus A125x5

Rotel 1075 (more money, but worth it??)

Adcom GFA7400

Outlaw 750 (again, more money)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum Scott.I just hooked up my Adcom 7400 last night and listened for only 20 minutes.I'm running a 4 year old Denon receiver and the change was dramatic!!Every quality of music,from the bass to the highs was a huge improvement.I got the 7400 for $560.My Denon only has pre outs for the L/C/R so I'm waiting for the Outlaw 950 to sort itself out.I'm going back to the same store for a 2 channel Adcom,then I'm all set for 7.1.They don't carry the line any more so their blowing them out right now.I think that any of those amps would be a big improvement over a receiver.I know I'll never be going back.Hope this helps.

Wayner

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Also, look for a Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp. THX certified, which means it can handle loads down to 3.2 ohms, an 150 watts of power. I own one myself, picked it up as a demo item with full 3 year warranty for $700, and have been happy ever since. Very warm for a solid state, with incredible punchy bass. You can usually find one used for about $550-600 used, and it is a killer deal. Work of caution, this thing weighs a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks