1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with finding a good seperate for under $1500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DarL, Jun 27, 2004.

1. DarL

DarL Agent

I need help finding a good preamp processor to go with my B&W 604 s3 Fronts, LCR600, 602 s3 rears, svs 20-39pc+ sub, and my Parasound 2205at amp. I am currently running my denon avr3803 with the pre-outs. I am new to seperates, and I your advice to which preamp processor would be a good combo with my setup? The setup is used strickly for hometheather so DTS, Dolby Digital, and current sound processing is important to me. My budget is around $1000-$1500; is there a pre/pro seperate for that price better than my current denon avr3803?

Thanks.

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Since you're strictly movies -- and already have a good power amp -- I suggest sticking with the 3803... and throwing the money at some other upgrade (sub? disc player?).

There aren't that many choices for pre/pro's under $1500... there's Outlaw, but their 950 is overdue for an upgrade... there's Rotel, Adcom, Sherbourn, NAD -- all good, but you likely have to buy used to meet your price point... at best, I think any of these is a sideways move for a movies-only rig... your Denon is a good performer as it is.

If your primary goal is to have the latest processing technology for $1000-1500, go for a new receiver rather than a pre/pro... receivers roll out more frequently with up-to-date features... but audition thoroughly -- at home if possible... the differences may be less evident than you think.

3. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

You can find BK ref50s for $1500 if you look hard enough.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

The Sherwood/Newcastle P-965 can be had well under $1500, and is an excellent unit.

5. DarL

DarL Agent

Greg- I actually have a sub already that i forgot to mention - it's a svs 20-39pc+.

If I raise my budget to $2000, is there a lot more options out there for pre/pro seperates?

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Is there a certain aspect of the 3803 that you find lacking in terms of processing capabilities? The 3803 looks like a very good prepro already (at least on paper), and I don' think PL2X is worth upgrating for because after all it is still a matrixed format.

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

The HK 7300 looks to be a true alternative to seperates spec wise and feature wise. I have never heard this receiver but I did compare the old HK 7000 to the Da777es before purchasing the Sony 5 years ago. It was a toss up between the two with the 777 a little cheaper than the HK due to clearance pricing. If you can justify a receiver in place of a processor, this is one that probably can be taken seriously. If seperates are a must, consider some of the used pre's.

8. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Not really... you'd still be talking about all makes suggested above... all good, but I'm not convinced they'd be a noticeable improvement for a movies-only rig... as a movie processor, your Denon really is that good.

Again -- for movies only -- I can't say there would be a big difference even in the $3-5k class (Anthem, Bryston, Sunfire)... music is another matter.

Specifically what are you looking to improve?

9. DarL

DarL Agent

I am trying to improve the sound level of the dialog. It's hard for me to hear the dialog words even at high levels sometimes. I usually listen to DVD movies at -10 to 0 on the denon receiver, at those level the background music is often louder than the dialogs.

Another reason why I was planning to go into seperates is the fact that most members here say that it is better than a a/v receiver( i don't know if that goes for movies or for music). I have a chance to spend around $1500 because my brother wants to buy my Denon avr3803. So I am hoping to upgrade the sound on my hometheather movie experience.

I am statisfied with the sound processing that the Denon avr3803 provides already, but more new tech sound processing codes would be nice[​IMG] So would you guys recommend as for an a/v receiver or pre/pro seperates?

Thanks.

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    What about the Outlaw combo for $1500. Obviously the amps would be a big improvement over the amps in most receivers. Denons are known for putting out their rated wattage all channels driven.

11. DarL

DarL Agent

Charles- I already own a parasound 2205at amp, so I wouldn't really need the combo. Is the outlaw 950 a better upgrade to the denon 3803?

12. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

DarL,
    from this post:
    "I am trying to improve the sound level of the dialog. It's hard for me to hear the dialog words even at high levels sometimes. I usually listen to DVD movies at -10 to 0 on the denon receiver, at those level the background music is often louder than the dialogs. "

It sounds like your system isn't calibrated correctly. Even a $200 receiver used as a pre/pro should be able to adjust the levels so that dialogue is clear. I would invest $40 in an SPL meter before I went out and bought a new processor.

13. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I agree that you should check your calibration. Short of that, it might be a speaker issue. Have you checked your CC to make sure its OK?

14. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Agreed... swapping processors won't necessarily fix center dialog levels... (re)calibrate first, if that's the main issue.

You might also try some re-positioning of the center speaker -- unless its current placement is not flexible... you'd be surprised what such a small tweak can accomplish.

But if you're simply keen to make a move to separates -- and that's fine too -- all the above-mentioned makes are proven performers... I personally like the Rotel's... their RSP-1068 is fairly new, and has very up-to-date processing... currently shipping with DPL IIx.

Still... take the time to audition first.

15. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Someone is selling an Anthem AVM20 v2 on agon now for $1600, which is an absolute STEAL! Hop on this if you can.

16. DarL

DarL Agent

I have a sound meter, maybe I should check on the calibrations again. But either way, I still need to get another receiver or pre/pro seperate because my brother wants my denon avr3803.

Chung- I don't see the anthem for that price could you provide a link?

Thanks