select seperate audio/video sources on Sony receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MarcusDiddle, Jun 6, 2004.

1. MarcusDiddle

MarcusDiddle Stunt Coordinator

I've got a Sony STR-DE885. The inputs on the back are marked specifically for individual components (ie. TV, DVD, CD, etc...).

Here's the problem; I'd like to set the VIDEO source to DVD, and the AUDIO source to CD. The reason for this is I have no optical in on the receiver marked for DVD, but I do have one for CD/SACD.

I can make this selection manually by going to the receiver, hitting MODE next to the bottom right dial, and then setting VISUAL to DVD, and AUDIO to CD/SACD. Everything works fine. But I cannot SAVE that setting! It defaults back to original settings the second I switch to a different component.

Any ideas how to save the settings as a custom Mode?

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Marcus,

I have the exact same receiver. There is no way to save this setting. You are stuck with manually switching the video each time.

I am using the MD/DAT (audio) and DVD (video) inputs for my universal player, but switching the video manually is only a minor inconvenience for me, since I only use the player for SACD/DVD-A and rarely need the video.

--Nathan

3. MarcusDiddle

MarcusDiddle Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I suppose it is a minor inconvenience to have to switch the audio setting whenever I watch a movie. But I really would've liked to be able to save the setting! My friend just dropped a grand on a new Onkyo receiver, which lets you assign any audio input to any video input and then save and name that mode. That would be nice!