What's new

Using seperate audio/video source on receiver (1 Viewer)

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
This is my FIRST POST! I'm glad to have found this place, and hope everyone can offer me some advice. I'm going to try and detail my problem as much as possible...

I've got a Sony STR-DE885 receiver and I want to be able to use one video source while using another audio source. For instance, my cable box (Pioneer 1100) uses Digital Audio out (also RCA but no thanks). The only Digital Audio IN on my receiver is for DVD/LD.

So I've got my cable box's video going to Video1 on the receiver (S-video), and my audio going to DVD/LD (digital coax). Now when I switch my receiver to Video1, I have picture but no sound; when I switch it to DVD/LD, I have sound but no picture! On the receiver itself. I can manually select the proper audio/video sources, and everything works the way I want it, but it doesn't save the settings; just keeps them temporarily. Once I switch to say, TV/SAT, and go back to Video1, I've got the same probem all over again. Anyone got any ideas on how to change the default audio/video sources for each Function on the receiver? The Sony manual, as always, is little or no help at all...

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Sucks that the Sony doesn't save your setting, I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sure there is no secret way to do it if it's not evident in the setup menus. Doesn't the DVD/LD have an S-video input to use? Or maybe just run the s-video straight to the tv.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Marcus,

When you have your receiver set to Video1, try pushing "Input Mode" on your receiver until the display says "COAXIAL FIXED".

I don't know for sure if that will work, but it's worth the try.

--Nathan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know your receiver, but you should be able to save the setting (perhaps something along the lines of Nathan’s suggestion).

Otherwise you can always run the S-Video direct, as Wayne suggests (this has an advantage of one fewer connection). But if this does not appeal, you can always buy a switch box.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m probably missing something obvious here, but why run the video to a different input? Why not run it through the DVD/LD input, same as the audio?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Because my DVD/LD video input is component. My cablebox's video-out is S-video. However, my DVD/LD audio input is Digital-coax, which happens to be my only option (sans RCA) of audio-output for my cablebox. So my options for audio/video inputs for each are conflicting.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I actually have the STR-DE885. I realized that you can't simply change "Input Mode". The coax input seems to be hardwired for the DVD input.

What you could do is connect your cable box to the DVD audio and DVD video inputs on your receiver. Connect your DVD's digital out to one of the other optical inputs that you're not using. Then, you can edit the input name shown on your display. The only downside is that the input names on your remote will not match.

Also, isn't there a converter you can buy to convert from coax to optical?

--Nathan

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator

Is there really? That's what I really need. I can't take my cablebox's video into the DVD video input because the cablebox is S-video and my DVD is component. If I could get a converter like the one you mentioned, then I could use the digital-coax in on my receiver for my DVD, and then take my cablebox into an optical input on the receiver. As it is, optical is not an option for my cablebox.

I've already renamed all the inputs on my receiver to match up with what I'm using them for (Cable, DVD, Xbox, iPod). And as far as the remote buttons not matching up, I've got an RM-AV3000 and I've renamed all the buttons to match the functions above:)

Anyone know where you can get a digital-coax-to-optical converter? Is there any quality loss when using one?

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Nathan, I found a couple sites selling those after I posted. Wonder if the quality of the converter comes into play at all? I checked Monster's site and they don't seem to make this type of converter. I may try it out. It'd be worth $25 if I could take my cablebox into optical and keep my digital-coax-in for DVD.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks