What's new

SEGA done with Crazy Taxi and NiGHTS.. (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Sad reading if it's true ...

"Sega put franchises to sleep
07.05.2003 | Jake Rukin

The current issue of Dorimaga quizzes Sega on the future of a number of series. There will be no more Crazy Taxi games, which comes as something of a relief to us given that the sequels failed to better the original. Also, the idea of a new NiGHTS title has finally been put to rest. However, the new Shining Soul game announced about a year ago is still in the pipeline.

Dorimaga also asked Sega-AM2's Yu Suzuki whether Shenmue 3 is going to happen. He said that development could begin immediately were Sega to give the project the go-ahead. If it were to happen, the remaining 16 chapters of the game would be included."

http://www.gamesasylum.com/showartic...articleID=1468

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Have to disagree with you there Jean, Shenmue 3 is exactly what we need. WHile I would LOVE a new NiGHTs game, it doesn't have name recognition among US gamers outside of the hardcore(unlike Sonic) and the only platform on which it'll do decently is one that's quickly tanking, GameCube.

Shenmue already has a working engine, and would incur minimal production costs in the big scheme of things. Hopefully they will make sure they cut their costs further and not dub the third game

I'm guessing they're cutting their losses

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Well, you're basically looking at it from a business standpoint, whereas I'm looking at it from a "Shenmue is crap with no redeeming values whatsoever" standpoint. Just my NSHO ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Shenmue 2 is one of the finest games ever made, I'm sorry you don't see it that way. Epic in concept and execution, I doubt I could get enough if they made 100 of them

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
the only platform on which it'll do decently is one that's quickly tanking, GameCube
I think the X-Box has actually been the one with declining sales as of late, pretty much since Christmas, while the GameCube has had the most improvement. And based strictly on console sales, the XB and GCN are close enough so that neither really is doing better than the other.

I would like to see a new NiGHTS game (played a little of the first at a friend's house and barely remember it, but it was cool) but Shenmue 1 sucked...badly. I never played part 2, but from what I read about it, it was much like the first one in terms of everything that made me not like it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Crazy Taxi could easily continue and still be a fun series. The third was horrid mostly due to the poor programming that resulted in massive slowdown, which is fatal for a game like CT.

-Dave

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I think the X-Box has actually been the one with declining sales as of late, pretty much since Christmas, while the GameCube has had the most improvement. And based strictly on console sales, the XB and GCN are close enough so that neither really is doing better than the other.
And let's not forget that a NiGHTS game would be targeted primarily to the Japanese market, where it's the Xbox that's tanking, not the Cube.

Also, since I didn't say it explicitly earlier on, Shenmue II is also crap. :p

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I never said it would succeed, but I'd still be interested in a new NiGHTS game.
Maybe not in the U.S., but NiGHTS could very well have been a very popular game in Japan for all I know -- the Saturn did much, much better there than it did in the U.S.

That said, I pretty much resigned myself to the prospect of no new NiGHTS games a few years back (yes, there was the GBA version, but that wasn't enough to justify me going out and buying a GC broadband adapter and PSO), it's just disappointing to hear them come right out and say it.

As for Crazy Taxi, after the disappointment of the last installment it's probably for the best. I still can't believe they're making a movie out of it.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I know what "NiGHTS" is, but never played it - but I'm curious, why the stupid capitalization in the title?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I can't really say that I'm surprised with the Crazy Taxi thing-they just haven't broken much new ground with any of them, and the idea was fun for a while, but got tired pretty quickly. Can't say that I ever played Nights though, but it seems to have enough of a cult fanbase out there (similar to Panzer Dragoon). Maybe poor performance on that title prompted this decision?

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I loved Nights on the Saturn...thsi sucks been waiting on a sequel for yrs :frowning:

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Shenmue 2 is one of the finest games ever made
I quite liked the game as well. It took a while for me to get into it - much like the first - but towards the end of the game it really starts rolling. And the way it ends is perfect. I ended up playing the game about 4 hours straight the night I finished it because of the way the end plays out.

I really hope part 3 makes it to the shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks