What's new

searching for a new receiver (1 Viewer)

CurtisF

Auditioning
I scored some vintage Pioneer cabs [40w/8ohm each] from my parents when I last visited and am in need of some sort of receiver to go along with them. I'm currently using the Pioneer receiver that originally came with it when they bought it around 30 years ago with my Polk Monitors. I'll be using the Pioneer cabs in the living room mainly/mostly/only for some XBMC action for music. I'm not looking to spend over $100USD here, so please don't recommend anything above that.. please.

Is it worth it to buy a NEW low-end receiver these days [for under $100] or should I go the vintage eBay route? I know the build quality now isn't even comparable at all to what it was back then. I've been looking on eBay and found some really cheap vintage Onkyos and others that looked really nice.

Are there any vintage units that you guys recommend in particular? I'm in my early 20's here and I know there are tons of older folks who frequent here, so maybe that bunch can suggest some older units that are worth while. Suggestions for new units? Would you buy new or go used/vintage? Keep in mind the purpose of my purchase as well.

Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Can’t go wrong with Pioneer, Technics, Yamaha, Marantz, Harmon-Kardon from the mid-70s to mid-80s. Look for my post in this thread to get an idea of what some of them looked liked.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks